Sponge filter clogging within a week..

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Mine clogs up a couple of times a year, but not every week. Maybe you should switch to an airstone instead

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
That is odd, it takes mine at least 6 months. I clean the hole with a paper clip, sometimes the end of the airline also.

Are you running the filter slowly or at full flow?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I know nothing about that brand air pump. Is the filter running briskly with big bubbles and a lot of flow or are they smaller bubbles and just break the water surface gently?

Water that is high in calcium and magnesium can cause a build up in the small opening as can tiny snails.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Not really, you really don't see particles floating around. I'm running an FX5 on my 125g with a polishing pad so it traps a lot. Also WC's with spot cleaning weekly.
I run 2 fx5s (mostly media)and two giant hydro sponges and do a 70% water change on my 180gal a week and still got to clean them. They just catch a lot of stuff. Mine are packed every time I clean them. To me yours clogging sounds normal but also says it's working.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I run 2 fx5s (mostly media)and two giant hydro sponges and do a 70% water change on my 180gal a week and still got to clean them. They just catch a lot of stuff. Mine are packed every time I clean them. To me yours clogging sounds normal but also says it's working.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I think you are referring to the sponge clogging, my issue is the nozzle that attaches to the airline clogs and must be cleaned out with a paper clip. The sponge itself isn't clogged when this happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store