300G Rubbermaid Outdoors, Cover = O2 Depletion?

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
I've been itching to setup my 300G Rubbermaid pond outside for the last few months, but I have a quick question. Below I have a table which shows the average temps in my area w/this month being the coldest of the year. I would need to maintain a temp at least 30 degrees over the coldest average. I have several 300W heaters available.

How many would it likely take to accomplish this given that I will be using a lid?

My initial thought is to make a pond cover with 1/2 in R-3 pink Styrofoam insulation, which I already have. I believe this will allow the heat to remain in the air gap between the water and lid.

My main question is if this lid will allow adequate dissolved O2 in the water, if the air gap is essentially closed off from the open air?

A standard aquarium air pump could be added to pump "fresh air" into the system if that would help anything...

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

temps.jpg

temps.jpg

Maxime

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
Canada eh!
Same here. I have a 300g Rubbermaid stock tank in my basement and I would like to move it outiside.

The question is how to I mke sure the goldfish and turtle (Native specie) can make it through the winter. It gets down to -30C here during the winter.

So I'm thinking heater and cover for the pond. How do I build the cover? Do I let a gap for air? Do I need to run an air pump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store