My Gar Arrived!!!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
My two Florida gar just came in this morning! My girlfriend and I were extremely excited!

CAM03337.jpg

Was a little surprised to find that the water was sedated o_O

CAM03343.jpg

The clown loaches popped out to see what the fuss was all about. CAM03344.jpg

I cut open the bags and floated them, drip acclimating with a turkey baster by removing a full segment of their water and and adding tank water. Next I gave them a salt bath in their bags (the bags were very large). Once content, I lifted them out of the bags by hand and lowered them into the water.

CAM03364.jpgCAM03384.jpgCAM03387.jpgCAM03386.jpg

CAM03337.jpg

CAM03343.jpg

CAM03364.jpg

CAM03384.jpg

CAM03387.jpg

CAM03386.jpg

CAM03344.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The whole tank is buzzing right now! The loaches are trying to school with the gar. Its really funny to watch them. The ornates keep popping in and out of their cave to check them out, then vanishing once more. Fyodor, my 9. Y/o senegalus (the fish responsible for my monster fish hobby) seems to really enjoy their presence. Even the Raphael catfish that usually only comes out when I am sleeping is out swimming around! The Faranah lap popped out for a quick observational lap around the tank, but went back into her stump fortress before I could snap a pic.

More pics to follow! Need to add another few dozen ghost shrimp!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
They're already regaining their color! Very calm minded creatures. They seem highly interested in me and the cats. The cats have been watching and meowing constantly. I need a better camera, just missed a great shot of the Faranah lap and ornate cruising up alongside the pair T.T
Neither have eaten yet to my knowledge, but the bigger of the two started to grab a freeze dried krill, only to watch it zip away in the spray bar current. The smaller of the two seems to love playing in the powerhead's current :p

I'm already in love with these little creatures! They're incredible in person!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
They're already regaining their color! Very calm minded creatures. They seem highly interested in me and the cats. The cats have been watching and meowing constantly. I need a better camera, just missed a great shot of the Faranah lap and ornate cruising up alongside the pair T.T
Neither have eaten yet to my knowledge, but the bigger of the two started to grab a freeze dried krill, only to watch it zip away in the spray bar current. The smaller of the two seems to love playing in the powerhead's current :p

I'm already in love with these little creatures! They're incredible in person!
Were they purchased from petsolutions?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
No, bluegrass aquatics. They were packaged professionally with heating pads and appropriate labeling. The customer service was above average. Good experience! One of my clown loaches appears to be attempting to bully the larger gar. Nothing serious, some mild shoving. Im guessing this will taper off when they get used to one another.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
:p thanks man, I'm stoked! I might rescape the tank once they're settled in to give them more room. Thinking about buying one of those aqua Terra backgrounds!

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It looks great. I really enjoy the scape. I'd even add 1 or 2 more to the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store