African Butterfly Fish aqurium depth?

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
I have a 45 gallon riparium, the dimensions are 48" long and 12" deep and around 8" tall. Would this be too shallow for an ABF or could I get away with doing it?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be fine as long as u don't have any bottom feeders looking up to eat the abf. Even then like mudfrog said not too often they will come down. Tank is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
They are surface predator so the depth little mean nothing to them and like one already said unless you have some bottom feeder looking as them as a prey!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
My butterfly fish never leaves the surface unless startled. IMO you can keep them in a few inches of water.
What matters is that they love to hunt. You'll see what I mean when you feed them crickets. I wouldn't go less than 3ft tank length.

HarleyK

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My butterfly fish never leaves the surface unless startled. IMO you can keep them in a few inches of water.
What matters is that they love to hunt. You'll see what I mean when you feed them crickets. I wouldn't go less than 3ft tank length.

HarleyK
+1 I love ABF mini aros just keep a good lid on the tank I've lost a few dried up on the floor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store