breathing heavily after water change?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I did a water change and added some plants and redecorated my tank. I don't know if this is normal but I was checking it out and noticed most of the fish are breathing fast and opening and shutting their mouths. is this normal? ive never really paid attention. am I being paranoid or did I do something wrong.. cause my tigrinis cat is in this tank and it is one of the fish breathing heavily. fast responses please :) and thank you.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
TBH, If something wrong going on after water changed then the damage already done and taking toll on your fishes, unless you have another tank with identical water parameter before the water change to move your fish. Also, major re-decorate your tank while fish in the tank it's really bad ideal, stirred up substrate can cause a huge Ammmonia, Nitrite and Nitrate spike up sky high.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
a little. I had to put them in the sand. but I do a little gravel vac on the sand every week I do water changes.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I have 6 other tanks. all my parameters are the same. would the stress of moving them be worse? I can do it right now. im really just concerned about the tig its the only super expensive fish.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I would say monitor them for the few hours, I would say they are a little shock with the re-decorate they will be fine :)

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
it also appears to have body jerks/ looks like hiccups ....
It's really bad, I would say move it but like I said before the damage already done and taking it toll on your fish. If it going to die then move it out might have a change to save it, you don't have any choices here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store