210 oceanic tank

arowjdm0103

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Datnoidsland
So I see a good deal on a craigslist about a 210 but the thing is the bracing it just 1 big piece 24" by 24" in the middle of the tank, and the tank is 7' by 2' by 2' will you think it will hold water for next 20 years if I reseal the whole tank and the bracing. Or if I go to the glass shop and get those center bracing cuts into 4 pieces and divide it into 4 sections and brace front to back, instead of the euro bracing that have 2 long pieces going long the front and back. The bottom trim broke can anyone help me out with the bottom trim? I am thinking do the bracing and trim just in case anything happen. I'm building this as a show tank in my living room.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
The bottom trim is for looks and to not cut your hands, but you could be able to buy a replacement. How toes the silicone work look now? If it looks good and only changing the top brace as you describe it could work, but netting a fish or working in the tank could be a PIA with all the small openings you propose. Reselling a tank that size properly (disassembly, clean, re silicone) is not a small or easy task, and should be left to someone with experience IMHO. Although there are many who just slap on a new fillet of silicone and call it a day, that is not a proper fix, again in my opinion.

arowjdm0103

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Datnoidsland
Right now it holds water and it looks 7/10 on the silicone but I'll be moving it to my living room and it have carpet so I rather be safe than sorry. As changing the silicone and trims I'm taking it to a professional aquarium service to do it for me, do you think that oceanic have the black trim for the 210 instead of the wood one I don't like the wood look to it? I might be doing 3 braces across to have more room 33" to work with.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I don't know how hard the different trims are to come buy. Your pro or your LFS distributor ought to be able to tell you how to get to the right person at oceanic to ask though.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
It might be cheaper to buy a new tank than to pay someone to disassemble and reseal.
Think about it.. the resealer doesn't have to buy the glass, but there's about 4X the labor because he has to diassemble and clean.
Plus a new tank will have some kind of warantee vs leaks.. Billy Bob resealing it probably won't.

If you don't like this tank on CL, I'd wait for a better deal or buy new.
I can see getting a tank and resealing it if it is dirt cheap or free, but why pay for a tank that holds water and take it apart?
IMO, a reseal job doesn't necessarily mean the tank is more structurally sound, especially if you hire someone else to do it. (I know there are people on this site that meticulously reseal, but is the guy you hire going to be that careful? Keep in mind, a bad reseal might take months to fail).

Not to be a downer, just be careful...

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
buy new tank. not worth the hassle

Kevin Lake

Feeder Fish
Oct 23, 2014
St Paul, Minnesota
Too many unknowns with a used aquarium. Buying new gives you a little peace of mind. You also get the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" that Aqueon gives if you use their stand (if you use your own stand, be sure to contact them and they may approve your stand for their warranty).

If someone has a lead on standard aquarium trims (Aqueon or Marineland), I'd be interested in the info!

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
I actually bought the same type of tank in the same condition a few years back. Getting a new bottom trim ordered is going to be a PITA because nobody makes tanks in that dimension anymore and oceanic is out of business. I just built a bottom frame out of 2x4s and a sheet of plywood.I had to re seal it as it was previously used for reptiles, but since I got it finished, it's been going strong for a couple of years.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store