are arowanas legal in florida?

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
i am a little confuse. are they legal in florida? just moved to south florida and was thinking of making a pond with arowanas

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i believe only silver,blacks and the australian aro's are legal in the usa, so the only ones you dont get are asians.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The silver arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum) is the only aro legal to possess in Florida. I recommend reading the 'Restricted Species lists By State' in the sticky section of the Marketplace forum for each state's list (international lists are also included).

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
i read the Florida banned list. and i am a little confused because it said that Bony tongue fishes are not allowed. so i CAN have silver or black arowana?

i am also confused on a walking catfish issue. can i have one as a pet if i catch it in one of the canals?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If it says that bony tongue fish are NOT allowed then you cannot have any of them but I have heard that silvers are allowed in the Sunshine State.Looks like a little further research and clarification on the matter is in order.
As for the walking catfish,you are not allowed to keep them as pets under any circumstances.If caught they must be terminated.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The walking cat is federally banned.

In Florida, bony tongues include pimas and af aros only. Arowanas are listed separately further down the list:

(q) Arowanas (Family Osteoglossidae, all species except silver arowana, Osteoglossum bicirrhosum).

The list specifically describes O. bicirrhosum (silver) and does not mention O. ferrierei (black)as an allowed species.

Like the walking cat, Florida's noxious species act requires that ALL caught invasive species be destroyed immediately upon capture. It's illegal to possess, transport, or release (including catch-and-release) any invasive species in FL. The exceptions are for any species released by the US govt such as pbass to boost the sport fishing industry.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Thanks. that only thing confuses me is the walking catfish. so if I go out and catch one, i'll have to kill it, right? i cant take it home as pet fish ?

The list specifically describes O. bicirrhosum (silver) and does not mention O. ferrierei (black)as an allowed species.[/QUOTE]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store