4" spotted gar not eating

kibblefish

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2014
Fairford, UK
So I picked up a new spotted gar on tuesday, and so far I haven't seen him eat. I was told he was eating bloodworm in the shop, and that they had no problems. I may be worrying too soon but it was a long trip to go get him and I'd hate to lose him!

I just want to see what suggestions you guys can give me. I've so far tried frozen white shrimp and bloodworm, and various sizes of feeder guppies. The guppies have all gone, but in 24hours that could easily have been the juvenile bichirs that share the tank.

I've owned an adult florida gar who was an absolute stunner, but had to rehome when I moved and downsized. Now that I have the space again, I wanted to add another gar to the collection. I'd wanted a larger gar but they're not easy to get hold of round here...

And this is also my first post, so excuse any lack of forum etiquette! :confused:

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
For right now I recommend giving it some time to get acclimated to itself new surroundings before you attempt to feed it

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
For right now I recommend giving it some time to get acclimated to itself new surroundings before you attempt to feed it
^^^ +1. It can take a good while for them to settle after being stressed by the move. Also, a lot of keepers don't seem to realize that their well intentioned actions (trying to feed, viewing) can continue to stress a fish. I recommend minimal interaction around a tank with new inhabitants to allow them to settle. Give him a week or two to start acting normal.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kibblefish

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2014
Fairford, UK
Well the feeding is both for him and the tank mates, and the house is empty during the day with the lights off so I shall keep with that and try not to panic! I've just read in a few other threads that gars that size don't do so good without eating!

I'll just have to wait and try not to panic!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Any update? Mine ate for the first time last night (day3).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store