Can a bichir eat too big a pellet?

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Daughter got an albino senegal today, was chowing on 1mm NLS just happy as could be. Then found one of oscars 5mm omega pellets that sank before it was noticed. He's had it just past his mouth for about an hour now.

Normal, or not? I've got some tweezers I can use to pull it out potentially, if need be, but not sure if that'd be any better for him.

b10cb93626.jpg

Attempted to take 2 different shots and side by side them

aa0cb07290.jpg

b10cb93626.jpg

aa0cb07290.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The pellet probably soften up by the time he engulfed it lol, my sen's will do that too.:)

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Yes they can definitely eat too big of a piece of something. Some even die from eating this such as gravel that they will either choke on or eat and it wreak havoc on their intestines. I would wait a couple more hours or so (with close monitering) and see if like tlindsey says it softens up. If it doesn't soften up in the next couple hours then I'd get a little worried. Right now the worst thing you can do it try and pull it out. It will stress the fish to no end and increase the chance it chokes. So Id just play the waiting game unless you see obvious signs of it choking.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
its definitely softened up a fair bit. Kiddo is just super concerned as she fell in love with it when she actually got to see one in person; doesnt want anything to happen to it. Worst case scenario, its got petsmarts 14 day deal. Will keep monitoring though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looks like he's still struggling with it at this time, but he's swimming around every so often. Hits the top of the water. Not sure what their characteristics generally are.
When poly goes to the top and hitting the water as stated it is collecting air, that's why water level should 1 or 2 inches low. Apparently poly is still getting air which is good, in the future do what DrB recommended.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
For future, can always feed the cichlids a little slower to make sure they get the big pellets, or pre soak the large pellets shortly. Hope it pulls through

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store