Anyone here bow fish?

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I go all the time. It is great fun. Aim low. When you think your low enough go another 1-2" then you'll still hit high.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Rough fish. Mainly carp and buffalos. Once and a while we will get some bowfins. We let a lot of bowfins pass though. Sometimes when we want a challenge we go for suckers.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it looks like fun, I personally would only go after invasive fish though such as Common and Grass Carp. Ethically I couldn't shoot anything native because bow fishing to be honest gives you an unfair edge, like if you were walking outside and a UFO shot a spear into your stomach where as in normal fishing you actually have to bait the fish. I think it's fine to shoot invasives though since we want them gone at all costs, unfortunately round gobies are to small to shoot or I would already be a bow-fisherman.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I'm pretty sure only fish considered as "trash" can be shot, Most of which are invasive

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm pretty sure only fish considered as "trash" can be shot, Most of which are invasive
Dont be so sure about that. I just recently read an article on the RoughFish website talking about how people consider a lot of good native species as trash such as suckers and bullheads. Unfortunately, that's the uneducated world we love in.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Dont be so sure about that. I just recently read an article on the RoughFish website talking about how people consider a lot of good native species as trash such as suckers and bullheads. Unfortunately, that's the uneducated world we love in.
Bullheads can over run a lake. Suckers have a limit just like bullheads. The natives that are "underutilized" like bowfin, gar, drum, buffalo, bullhead, goldeye, mooneye, carp, and a few others are shootable.

Shooting suckers doesn't mean that your uneducated. People get bent out of shape when we shoot loads of carp. They are invasive here in the states. People often forget that.

Now for example buffalos don't get caught as often because they are filter feeders. They still get caught though. I shoot any native fish available to shoot. Some days I pass on them but I still will shoot them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store