Cycle is going no where.. Any Advice?

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Hi Everyone,

I started up a brand new 180 gallon tank just over 3 weeks ago already, and I have seen absolutely no changes to suggest the tank is cycling at all. I dosed the tank with Ace Ammonia to about 2-3ppm at first but then a few days after I added some more to approx 4 ppm. The tank sat for over 2 weeks and ammonia never seemed to drop. Water is at about 82* and I'm running two SunSun 304-b canisters with just blue and white pads and Seachem Matrix.

I eventually put some gravel from a friend's tank into a filter sock and dropped it into the tank. It seemed like the ammonia dropped to 2ppm so I dosed a little more back to 4ppm and still not a single sign of nitrites. I decided to do a PWC a few days later just in case something was going on, and dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm again. Here I am about a week later, still at 4ppm and zero nitrites.

From what I understand, PH/GH/KH tests can be inaccurate at this stage, but I did them anyway and PH appears to be around or just above an 8 right now (and the last time I checked it was an odd shade of purpleish that didn't really resemble the purple shades on the chart). GH took 3 drops to change color and KH took 5 drops to change color (API test kits used)..

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I know it can take up to 6 weeks for the cycle to complete, but shouldn't most of that time be converting nitrites > nitrates? The water was crystal clear a couple days ago and now it is cloudy again. Hopefully someone can set me in the right direction. This tank will be for Africian Cichlids (mbuna to be exact) so I will have to make sure the pH is high enough after the cycle is done. I'm doing the fishless cycle so I can stock the entire tank at once.

Thanks!

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yeah that seems odd to me. You would think the ammonia would be dropping by now and you would see some Nitrites.
Have you been checking for any Nitrates? I assume those are at 0? The cloudy water is a good thing as that's most likely a Hetrotrophic bacteria bloom. Your Nitrifiying bacteria should be populating if your getting bacteria blooms.
You do use a dechlorinator when you add water right? Might be a reach but since your ammonia dropped when you added some gravel maybe there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria to colonize on. Maybe your filters aren't working correcting and water is bypassing your media. hope this helps

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
I do use a dechlorinator (Seachem Safe) but I couldn't say for sure if I am dosing it properly. I haven't even checked nitrates to be honest. I figured if I never saw Nitrites then I didn't need to test them yet. Filters seem to be ok from what I can tell. I put 4 liters of Seachem Matrix (2L in each). I will check the nitrates.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I do use a dechlorinator (Seachem Safe) but I couldn't say for sure if I am dosing it properly. I haven't even checked nitrates to be honest. I figured if I never saw Nitrites then I didn't need to test them yet. Filters seem to be ok from what I can tell. I put 4 liters of Seachem Matrix (2L in each). I will check the nitrates.
I'm not sure if the Seachem Safe is interfering with the bio cycle or you just need to be a little more patient. Although it seems unlikely to show a reading, check the nitrate levels.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I personally believe that until fish hit the water a tank really won't setup. That does not mean to go crazy and dump 50 fish in but you have to get a few to get it going in my opinion.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i would throw something cheap and hardy in the day after i set it up (pref air breathing, gourami or similar), although i would have added media and decor from another tank to kick start it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I havent cycled a tank without bottled bacteria in a verrrrrry long time. I fill the tank, set the decor, dump a bottle (or two) of either Seachem Stability or Tetra Safestart+ and then my fish. Never had a fatality due to bad water/never went more than 2 days reading nitrites.

In my opinion you should try either brand of what I mentioned, or drop fish in, as mentioned a few hardy fish, just to move that cycle along. fishless cycling just doesn't seem practical any longer.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I agree. I've cycled tanks before also. Friend taught me a trick. If you have a another tank up and running already cycled. Take out most of that water from the cycled tank and dump it into your tank and also switch filters if you have a spare one. Take the filter from the cycled tank and put it into your new tank. That's what I just did with my 120 gallon. Took 20 gallons of water from my 30 and 5 gallons from 10. Both have been cycled for almost 2 years. Dumped all that water from those tanks into my 120 along with a canister filters that I had running on my 30. Waited a day and dumped 3 goldfish in there today. Gonna wait like a week before I dump some fish in there. I did do a water test and everything was good but just going to wait to be sure.

But since your starting from scratch I would just go throw 3-4 cheap goldfish in there and get things started. They eat anything and create a lot of waste. Plus they're very hardy fish.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
With an ammonia level of 4ppm, I would not add any fish unless you do a massive water change first.
I use Night Out 2, (sold at petco) to establish my tanks. As another poster said, I also add used water and swap filter media when I can.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
I did use Seachem Stability as directed on the bottle for the first week and used up a whole bottle. From what I understand it's not really bacteria in a bottle. I will give it a little longer and if I see nothing I guess I will have to try and cycle with some fish. Unfortunately the load only a few fish will create will not be enough for me to stock the tank all at once though. I don't have anyone I know where I can get water and filters from their established tanks. Just had a co-worker give me some gravel hoping there would be some bacteria in it to kick start the cycle a little but that was easy to transport.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store