What tank to put my new Bichir?

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
Hello, i saw a Koliba Bichir, (i think) at the lfs at around 10 inches long and i couldn't pass him up. I was initially planning on putting him into my 265 gallon along with my Vieja cichlid pair, couple other small cichlids and community fish such as silver dollars and clown loaches. I'm wondering if he would eat the clown loaches in there, a couple are about 2 inches or so. I also am trying to get the Vieja's to breed again and adding a predator like that wouldn't help.

I have two other tanks he could go in. One is a 120 gallon with about 30-40 mbuna and their fry. He could go in there and help keep the fry down too, they are breeding like crazy. Or I have a 125 gallon with two oscars and a jack dempsey. What do you guys think will be the best fit?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would put bichir in with the O, and Dempsey, If any of the cichlids gets to aggressive then move in the African tank with fry but I warn you poly might possibly wipe out tank . The tank with the loaches could be dangerous for bichir if it decided to swallow one the CL's.

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
i also have a 12 inch tie track eel that lives in the corner in a pvc pipe in the oscar tank. he has a little cave and he never comes out of it unless I'm giving him a worm. could that be trouble?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The tire track eel shouldn't be an issue due to its size and it has the pvc pipe to go to. You'll have to monitor the tank carefully.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you haven't already know this lower water level 1 or 2 inches so bichir can collect oxygen.

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
It is lowered. When I first put him in last night the fish weren't happy and their reaction was pretty funny. Oscar's are curious fish.

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
Well, I saw my 12 oscar trying to see if the biter's head would fit into his mouth (it didn't) so out he went. I put him in the 120 mauna tank. I'm not worried about him wiping out the smaller ones because they are prolific breeders. Oscars are nasty fish. It was weird because they started going after the tire track eel and they have never done that before

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Well, I saw my 12 oscar trying to see if the biter's head would fit into his mouth (it didn't) so out he went. I put him in the 120 mauna tank. I'm not worried about him wiping out the smaller ones because they are prolific breeders. Oscars are nasty fish. It was weird because they started going after the tire track eel and they have never done that before
As long as the cichlids keep their aggression towards other cichlids the poly should be fine (and with 30-40 doesn't sound like it should be a problem). One thing I would worry about is the bichir getting enough food. I would monitor these next couple feedings and see how much food he is getting so that if he is not getting enough you can spot it sooner rather than later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store