sump question

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Hey guys dumb question but what do I use to seal pipes together in my sump aquarium silicon or normal pvc cement. I don't know whether or not the cement will bleed out toxic chemicals.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
PVC cement. It's safe for drinking water pipes, it won't hurt your fish. Match tbe PVC cement to tbe PVC pipe you're gluing--that's very important.

Schedule 40 pipe and fittings, use schedule 40 cement. DWV pipe to DWV fitting, there's cement for that. There's "transition" cement for DWV pipe to schedule 40 fitting. And you HAVE to prime all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I no longer cement my pvc together I used to but now I just make sure I have a good fit never have a leak and can take it apart if you need too but anyway the cement is safe once dry so no problem in using it

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I always use cement. Primer isnt always necessary. I just scuff my fittings with some fine grit sandpaper and glue them.

Ive used basic oatey clear general purpose standard strength stuff to bond regular sched 40, dwv pipe, abs pipe, pvc conduit - all with great success

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I just scuff my fittings with some fine grit sandpaper and glue them.
Please don't do this, if you aren't going to prime just wipe it clean. The point of the primer is that its a cleaner. That's all it does, and by sanding a pvc pipe before fitting you're creating dust which just leaves you with less contact area for the glue to take effect on. The glue is not glue at all its a solvent that reacts with pvc. Even the lettering they print on your pvc pipe gets in the way of the solvent and thats only a micron thick! If you don't believe me see how pvc primer reacts with that ink.

The only physical removal of material on pvc pipe that should take place is cutting and de-burring inside and out after cutting.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I no longer cement my pvc together I used to but now I just make sure I have a good fit never have a leak and can take it apart if you need too but anyway the cement is safe once dry so no problem in using it

you couldn't pay me enough to trust unglued pvc fittings moving thousands of gallons of water a day lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Please don't do this, if you aren't going to prime just wipe it clean. The point of the primer is that its a cleaner. That's all it does, and by sanding a pvc pipe before fitting you're creating dust which just leaves you with less contact area for the glue to take effect on. The glue is not glue at all its a solvent that reacts with pvc. Even the lettering they print on your pvc pipe gets in the way of the solvent and thats only a micron thick! If you don't believe me see how pvc primer reacts with that ink.

The only physical removal of material on pvc pipe that should take place is cutting and de-burring inside and out after cutting.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1420221466825.jpg
Hmm I've always done that, I figured like most solvents it needed the area roughed up so it could bite in a little better.

Oh well, never had an issue, there's always next time... especially when I do plumbing in my house.

To be honest most aquarium set ups run extraordinarily low pressure versus house hold and industrial plumbing which is what sched 40 and 80 pvc were designed for. This is why people get away with doing things that are not the right way.

Suuuuuure jump all over me but not the guy who dry fits pipe and doesn't glue it lol

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Suuuuuure jump all over me but not the guy who dry fits pipe and doesn't glue it lol

In certain areas I don't see a problem with that. My final drain tube in 2 sumps are not glued because I have to remove them to pull my filter socks out. There's no leaks and there never will be because there is no water pressure.

But even at a dry smooth fit is going to seal better then if I had roughed any of them up.

They are manufactured with extremely tight tolerances. The only thing we rough up in plumbing is copper before soldering it and in that department you're only doing this to clean the copper so the solder can adhere to a clean surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store