is this normal behavior? (video)

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz4oYHS4jmI&persist_app=1&app=m[/video]

The clown loach aggression isn't captured very well, but they have been mugging the smaller gar. Usually all three hone in and try to bite its face and body. The gar has also been obsessed with the power head, and seems to twitch every so often when still. Is it normal? My girlfriend and I think so, but we figured it would be best to get an opinion. This is their second day in the tank.

The twitching is usually short ticks, sometimes accompanied by an opening and closing of the mouth.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Sorry for the quality. Its shot on a phone. Also, is this scape too much for the gar? Should I strip some of it down to give them more swimming room?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Could possibly territorial aggression by the clicking sounds, the gar was smart enough to move away just keep monitoring the gar and loaches. BTW tank looks great:)

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks man! I like the set up. I want to add a 3d background. Have a diy one that is ~70% complete, just haven't had time to finish it/fell in love with one of those aquaterra ones and have been indecisive. At this point I think it would be a disservice to the gar. Should I worry about the smaller gars obsession with the power head? At times it almost appears it might strain its back. This is only day 2 though, might just be getting used to things still.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The only CL's I've owned are the ones I currently have and they are big babies when it comes to tankmates. All 3 just zip around the tank or play in the return current from my canister filter. They were in with to florida gars for about 3 weeks too with no problems.

The twitching concerns me...I'm having the same problem with one of my sunfish currently. I would look into possible parasite treatment as I've seen my sunnie flashing on the driftwood too. I currently tried prazi-pro for gill fluke since there are no visible signs on him. Gar are kind of prone to parasites so it couldn't hurt to try. His obsession with the powerhead could be pointing to a breathing problem due to parasites, hence why hes swimming into a current.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
When your gar appears to be snapping its head it may be resetting its jaw, which is what I was told by my LFS a couple years ago.

Gars are sometimes odd when introduced into a new environment, one of my gars now swam against one corner of glass for a month only stopping to eat, he swims normally now. My first gar swam in the exact same circle, slowly, but all the time but also eventually stopped. Also, an alligator gar I had swam in a powerhead like that too, but so close to it and also eventually stopped.

As long as your gars are eating, and don't show signs of disease, giving them plenty of time to settle in is my advice.

Also, if your gar is being attacked, then you might just want to separate it from the clowns for now. But your gar could start snapping back or get big enough to eat them.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
One of the loaches has a tear down its back today. Nothing serious. I suspect the gar lost his temper :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store