Sterilite Quarantine Question

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I bought a 30 gallon sterilite bin to use as a quarantine tank for new fish that will be arriving soon. It seems like a lot of people mention that the sides can billow out quite a bit when filled with water. Some have offered solutions such as building a wood frame around it, not filling it up all the way, etc. Do you think I would be able to get away with just sticking it inside of another sterilite container as a form of support? If not I'll use a wood clamp on it but I have a tendency to run my shins into things and would prefer just sticking it into another container if possible. Obviously it won't be filled all the way to the top with water but it will be more than halfway.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
If you put one inside the other, cut the bottom off of the one you plan to put on the outside. the reason is that when you stack them the bottom of the inside bin does not touch the bottom of the outside bin, if that makes sense. Stacking 2 outright could cause you to have a higher risk of leaks or blowouts.

I'd also set the bin on a piece of Styrofoam or insulation to distribute the load on the bottom evenly since some bins sit on 4 little tiny feet and the bottom doesn't get supported.

Another trick I know for bowing is to put the lid on the bin and cut the center out of the lid. Id drill holes and ziptie the top on so it cant suddenly pop off and have the bin warp.

At the end of the day your best off buying a small glass aquarium, but that's all I know about fish in storage bins

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
It's a little pricier but I'd go with a small stock tank rather than use the sterilite, regardless of bracing. Any farm supply store should have the one in the link or something similar. I've used sterilite and similar containers, generally with some success, but when filled beyond halfway many of them do bow more than I'm comfortable with.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-40-gal

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have not tried this so these ideas are pure speculation.
Perhaps wrapping the outside with bands of duct tape at a couple of different places? This may help with the integrety of the container.

Some bungie chords around the out side of the container could do the same thing?

If you look at a stock tank as suggested, be wary of the galvanized type. There have been a few discussions about the potential problems with those. A heavy plastic one may work, but it seems to me that a glass aquarium should not be much of a price difference.

Good luck

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Petco/Petsmart have a $1 per gallon sale a few times a year. I believe Petco is having one right now......at least there was last weekend, up here by me.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I put spare live rock in one in my basement. I put the lid on and added tape across attached on the sides that went over the top and had no issues with bowing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the responses. I agree I'd like to have just a glass aquarium but I don't really have anywhere I could put it for the month or longer that I will need it for the quarantine. The stock bins sound like a good idea but the fact that they're black would make it difficult to really observe the fish for any issues. I may try filling this sterilite bin up and using a wood clamp on the sides and see how it does, in the mean time I'll be looking on craigslist for a 40 gallon tank cheaper than $90 that the store is wanting. Unfortunately there are no petco's around me or I'd be taking advantage of that deal in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store