Help to set up a small secondary tank

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all

I need some expert help.
I have a 9x4x2 tank that i set up myself (with much trial and error!)
I breed stingrays and want to set up a small second tank to house pups. This will run off the main tank and be fed by water pumped by a pump sitting in the sump on the main tank.
The small tank will only be 23" long by 14" wide and 12" tall due to space restrictions. This equates to 63 liters of water.
I have a spare 3000 LPH pump that i want to use.

My question is this.
If i pump 3000 LPH into a tank that can only hold 63 liters, what size bulkheads would i need to fit for waste water to leave the small tank? Obviously some power will be lost due to head on the pump but not sure how much, it will only have to pump about 3.5 feet up to the small tank.
Or is this just too much flow rate coming into the small tank?
I was thinking of putting 3 bulkheads with 22mm flex tubing on the tank to take waste water away and one return bulkhead.

Is this okay in your opinion?
I don't want to do this and then find i am pumping more water into the small tank than can be drained away. This is a mistake i made when setting up the big tank and don't want to repeat this! I had 2 pumps running and the tank filled up quicker than the drain lines could handle taking it away. so i ended up only running one pump.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Jim,

I had a 540 lts tank connected to the main sump fed by a 3.000 lts return pump. I used a 40mm drain (outflow) and it was big enough.
However, with a 63lts tank, 3000lts/h is excessive.

I say this because I also had a 112lts tank connected to that sump and it had a 20mm drain. The 3rd tank was fed by a 2100 lts/h return pump and it was excessive. I sorted the problem using a "T" and diverting some of the water from that pump back to the sump.

So, my advise would be to do 2 things:
a) make the drain as big as you can;
b) use a "T" with a valve in the output of the 3000lts return pump to allow you to adjust the flow so that only part of the water woudl go the the secondary tank, the rest going back to the sump.

Hope this helps

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Joao

Yes i was thinking of using a 'T' to control the flow. I think i may have to rethink the size pipe and bulkheads for drainage as well though, thanks for the input.

Jim,

I had a 540 lts tank connected to the main sump fed by a 3.000 lts return pump. I used a 40mm drain (outflow) and it was big enough.
However, with a 63lts tank, 3000lts/h is excessive.

I say this because I also had a 112lts tank connected to that sump and it had a 20mm drain. The 3rd tank was fed by a 2100 lts/h return pump and it was excessive. I sorted the problem using a "T" and diverting some of the water from that pump back to the sump.

So, my advise would be to do 2 things:
a) make the drain as big as you can;
b) use a "T" with a valve in the output of the 3000lts return pump to allow you to adjust the flow so that only part of the water woudl go the the secondary tank, the rest going back to the sump.

Hope this helps

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
For my pup tanks i have 50 gallon tanks set up under my big tanks, a 1" bulkhead drilled in the side, and a small 500 gph pump pumping water from the sump. This is also "T'ed" off to control flow. This is only to keep the params the same as the large tank for the transfer of newborns. They also have a sponge filter and the pups are transfered to a bigger tank once eating and stable.

It also depends how long you plan to keep the pups, or just how long do u plan on keeping them in that tank?

You may want to add a canister or something

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Hi Joao

Yes i was thinking of using a 'T' to control the flow. I think i may have to rethink the size pipe and bulkheads for drainage as well though, thanks for the input.
I've seen examples on youtube where throttling back the pump with a restriction in line actually caused the pump to use less energy. I'll see if I can find it again, but it might be better than shunting flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store