Are fine filter pads good? 406 mechanical setup

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
Do you use fine filter pads in your filters? Can they be reused? Do they slow down the flow over time?
I'm thinking of putting an Acurel polyester filter pad in my 406. Will the bio foam included be enough for fine filtration?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The finer the pad, the more often they will need to be rinsed, because they will plug up faster and slow the flow.
This I think is better, because the more you rinse, the more unwanted nutrients are being exported from the system, making water quality better.
Most filtration methods simply store waste out of sight, kind of like sweeping it under a rug, basically doing nothing to improve water quality.

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
The finer the pad, the more often they will need to be rinsed, because they will plug up faster and slow the flow.
This I think is better, because the more you rinse, the more unwanted nutrients are being exported from the system, making water quality better.
Most filtration methods simply store waste out of sight, kind of like sweeping it under a rug, basically doing nothing to improve water quality.
So the Acurel fine pads can be reused?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store