wild caught vs. cb black arowana

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Are there any real differences between WC and cb black arowanas? Coloration is what I am particularly curious about. Also temperament.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Lfs owner told me a bunch of them are bred in large ponds and the babies are collected in a similar manner to the way that datnoids are alleged to be being bred. I understand the latter example is scrutinized by many. He brought up black aro breeding with an air of certainty about him. I'll inquire further.

VinLwj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2007
Malaysia
I just bought a baby Black Aro at last week, the local fish shop told me that it is captive breed by local breeder.

Because it is local captive breed, the price is quite cheap.
Hope it will not have some things defect or not nice like the wild caught.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
If you are in the US i highly doubt your black aro is captive... what they do in south america is catch the male holding young then cut its head off and take the babies... That is why you will see them for sale when they still have yolk sacks

Reactions: Merik and Pedram

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
If you are in the US i highly doubt your black aro is captive... what they do in south america is catch the male holding young then cut its head off and take the babies... That is why you will see them for sale when they still have yolk sacks
Actually not really. There is a larger amount of cb black aros that have been coming into the us from Asia.

One of the things I noticed was on the smaller fish the orange trim of wilds was more yellow on cb. They seemed to turn nicer after they grew and had a proper diet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Actually not really. There is a larger amount of cb black aros that have been coming into the us from Asia.

One of the things I noticed was on the smaller fish the orange trim of wilds was more yellow on cb. They seemed to turn nicer after they grew and had a proper diet.

Really? That is interesting.. and good news to me. Hopefully the survival rate on these are better then the wild caught babies.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Really? That is interesting.. and good news to me. Hopefully the survival rate on these are better then the wild caught babies.
I actually have better luck with wilds. My last import of cb all fought. Even in large groups. I do think it was luck of the draw on it but will not know for sure. The captives do take prep foods faster. So for the less experienced in small aros it would bring the survival up for them.

I will add that there isn't any us farming though. I can't see the op's location so if he was in the us "local breeder" was pulled out the backside.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Also they largely have gone unnoticed coming in as when most people hear of cb black aro they don't believe it and try to discredit the source. Even though it has been going on for a few years people didn't/don't want to accept it. So it is easier for the store to just say "black aro". Then have a "not sure" or "Peru" or "Columbian blues" for an answer when asked about collection point.

Just like a few years ago no one ever thought we would see albino silver aros... Now they are farmed hard in Asia. We can get them more often then not. Albino Pimas have not made it here fully yet but they have got into Europe. I cant wait to get one in.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Any pictures/videos of them breeding in captivity? What about an actual fish farm/breeder/breeders name or website? I have looked into it , but not thoroughly by any means, as I thought it was not happening yet in captivity. Seeing is believing for me ,anyway. Any idea???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store