Advice needed - RTGG hides a lot, and only nibbles at food.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
My RTGG about 25cm has been in tank for over a month. Water tests are all good. Temp 25C (28C at the moment due to heat wave). Tank planted with T5 overhead lighting.

RTGG hides about 70% of the time and is very flighty. Only picks at plants and occasionally takes tiny fighter pellets but rejects everything else.

When purchased from shop I observed him taking Grand Sumo pellets but won't touch them now.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem with RTGG?

GG_DEC14_1.jpgGG_DEC14_3.jpgGG_DEC14_4a.jpgGG_DEC14_6.jpgGG_DEC14_6a.jpgGG_DEC14_8.jpgGG_DEC14_9.jpgGG_DEC14_10.jpgGG_DEC14_11.jpg

GG_DEC14_1.jpg

GG_DEC14_3.jpg

GG_DEC14_4a.jpg

GG_DEC14_6.jpg

GG_DEC14_6a.jpg

GG_DEC14_8.jpg

GG_DEC14_9.jpg

GG_DEC14_10.jpg

GG_DEC14_11.jpg

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Is the tank in an actively used space in your home? I noticed that if tanks are not in an active area the fish take longer to get used to movement outside of the tank.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Good news - he's started eating a variety of food but still reclusive. Just taking his time settling in I think. Been 6 weeks now.

Nice fish, I think he got natural foods(plants) so no need of pellets maybe?
He's nibbled on plants since being in the tank but wasn't eating much

Is the tank in an actively used space in your home? I noticed that if tanks are not in an active area the fish take longer to get used to movement outside of the tank.
He's in my workroom so plenty of activity.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Your fish is probably just getting used to it's surroundings. Although in time they normally become very tame. I raised 3 Giant Gouramis in a 75g, then transferred to a outside 2000g aquaponic res. Your T5 lighting maybe a little bright for their liking. Hope this helps.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Yup - he's a little shy - with active tankmates, he would be more comfortable - otherwise it's just a matter of time until he's more comfortable with all the activity in the room.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Your fish is probably just getting used to it's surroundings. Although in time they normally become very tame. I raised 3 Giant Gouramis in a 75g, then transferred to a outside 2000g aquaponic res. Your T5 lighting maybe a little bright for their liking. Hope this helps.
Thanks Wailua Boy - your ggs must be happy in that setup! 5 week's seems like a long time to settle in. Could he be missing his last owner? They seem to recognize different people.

Yup - he's a little shy - with active tankmates, he would be more comfortable - otherwise it's just a matter of time until he's more comfortable with all the activity in the room.
Cheers fwprawn. I've got a well behaved tex and a variety of normal gouramies in there that I added in an attempt to make him feel more secure. None of them bother him. Had to take out dwarf gouramies as the rtgg was bullying them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store