cycling new tank

Unratedaccount

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Vallejo, California
So I am currently cycling a 55 gallon tank. It has been up for about 3 days and I put in a bunch of fish food. And my ammonia is not showing and nitrites is not showing but my nitrate is at 10ppm for some reason. Should I change the water? Oh and am not using any media or bacteria start up.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I personally think from my experience that water changes slows the cycle process. I think you should continue to feed the tank and monitor the levels. The ammonia Will spike, but once it drops back down to 0 do a 50% water change then add some fish.

***Miss. Cichlid***

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
use pure ammonia its faster and i agree that wc prolong the cycle

Unratedaccount

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Vallejo, California
Yeah I couldn't find ammonia and I went to 5 stores ( Walmart , Lowes target, Lowes, and a local hard ware store) the ammonia all had either a detergent or soap in it. So it was either fishfood or dead fish, and I'd rather use food. And I won't change the water, thanks for the advice

Unratedaccount

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Vallejo, California
Thanks for the advice, I am still in a learning process even though I had a 29 running for 3 years. The more I know the better off I am, either if its from experience or from learning from experts at the LFS ands its good sometimes to learn from other members experiences on forums to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store