trickle filter return idea

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
Bear with me here, this may not work at all, i'm not really sure. Essentially i have a grid work of pvc pipe with small holes drilled under the substrate of my tank to help with water movement and the two pumps that run them finally died. I have a quiet one 4000 from an older setup setting in the garage that i was going to plumb to run the pvc network. I had a thought of instead of running a single intake do two. The first will be a direct line from the tank to the quiet one. The second ran by a small fountain pump or overflow into a 5 gallon filled with scrubbies and leaving the bottom 2" or so elevated for water to collect. The bucket will be sitting on a couple 2x2s which will enable me to install a bulkhead on the bottom. Then run an intake line through a check valve and into a t valve installed on the main draw line. My only concern is that i will suck out not just the water in the bottom of the bucket but air as well. I could do the bucket on the return side of the pump but then the scrubbies will be submerged and i have to deal with pressure on the seal of the bucket. This is not my only form of filtration. My tank is and has been running for about a year flawlessly with 2 canister filter. Yes this is overkill, but since I'm already installing the pump i figured i may as well make use of my time and add install this extra filtration.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
If any sees any other issues or problems feel free to chime in as well. Looking for some constructive criticism here.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I'm trying to stay away from making a dedicated overflow for this system and if i was to use the output of one of the canisters it couldn't keep up with the flow of quiet one...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store