Best method to Euthanize fish?

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
I have researched some different methods, just never done it so I don't know what is the best. I was wondering what some of your methods are and what is the most human way in your experience?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If it can fit into a tupperware, I would fill the tupperware with enough water so it can still swim, then placed into freezer. I've never had to deal with a monster size fish, but I suppose I would do what fishermen do and whack it on the head with some sort of "club"

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I done this via the freezer method, they wont even know its happening from my research, very sad but if its time you will know...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AR577

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
N.America
Cut the head of and eat it. If you cook it the majority of pathagens will die. What kind of fish?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Small fish usually go into a small container of isopropyl alcohol or bottom shelf booze. They die instantly, I wouldn't consider it painless, but exceptionally fast. And fast compared to taking a slow agonizing water park style ride down the toilet and to the waste water plant

I've heard of people doing the same with boiling water.

For giant monster fish? I have no idea.

Also I wouldn't eat fish raised in an aquarium. Perhaps it's no worse than farm raised fish, but it seems unhealthy to me

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I usually just wrap them in a bag and put them in the freezer.

***Miss. Cichlid***
Fish dies through a long, painful(?) suffocation......not very humane

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store