Am I feeding enough?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Just a quick question that came into my head. I feed my 11" lap bichir, 8" teugelsi bichir, 7" Florida gar, and 7" featherfin catfish once a day at night time. I feed the gar all he will take (tilapia, krill and bloodworms) the lap about 6 pieces of dime sized tilapia or about 6 full krill, my teugelsi about 4 pieces of tilapia or krill and the feather fun gets the leftovers. Sometimes feeding varies but is once a day enough? I occasionally throw in pellets in the morning. I know this answer can have many factors but I don't want to under or overfeed them. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Once their growth has plateaued a bit then would go to every other day. Can keep with once a day for now. As those fish haven't hit the halfway mark as size is concerned. Don't need as much calories once after about a foot. Just IMO.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
and it doesn't hurt to skip one day or two a week after the first year or two. it is possible to overfeed without knowing it. that results in fat deposits throughout their body and compresses the organs leading to early death.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
and it doesn't hurt to skip one day or two a week after the first year or two. it is possible to overfeed without knowing it. that results in fat deposits throughout their body and compresses the organs leading to early death.
That's what I was worried about too. They make it hard when they just sit there and look at me like "hey come feed me."

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I only feed 3-4 times a week for the larger grown fish, and every day for fish that are still growing. I thought I was feeding a perfect amount till someone explained to me in the wild carnivorous fish don't eat every day and stating they do is just illogical. Fish in the wild go weeks without eating sometimes so 3-4 times a week for a almost/fully grown fish is the "perfect" amount in my opinion.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I only feed 3-4 times a week for the larger grown fish, and every day for fish that are still growing. I thought I was feeding a perfect amount till someone explained to me in the wild carnivorous fish don't eat every day and stating they do is just illogical. Fish in the wild go weeks without eating sometimes so 3-4 times a week for a almost/fully grown fish is the "perfect" amount in my opinion.
Good to know. I'll start skipping a day of the week or something. Thank you

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Not only healthy for the adult fish, but helps when your trying to sustain top water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store