Are fish the most abused pet?

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
Fish keeping isn't really all that difficult but I would be willing to put money down that fish are the most abused pets. Yes they are a little higher maintenance than dogs and cats but it's not rocket science. Why is that?

Are people just too stupid to properly research before they go out out and buy fish? Is there too many old wives tales and misinformation about keeping them? I don't buy that because a simple Google search will tell you all you need to know. Or is it because people don't want to spend the money to properly care for their fish?

We are the minority when it comes to taking care of fish. Most people still believe any fish will only grow to a 10 gallon tank and if it's too much trouble you can just flush them down the toilet.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Are people just too stupid to properly research before they go out out and buy fish?
Yes, most people are IME. They think fish are just a decoration and not a pet. To me,fish are much better pets than dogs, cats, or any other animals, but that's just me.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I doubt fish are the most abused. Besides people don't want a "stinky" fish tank right??.... why would they want that. It takes a certain type of person to own fish especially long term. Yes lots end up dying but I think dogs or cats hold the title for most "abused"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I doubt fish are the most abused. Besides people don't want a "stinky" fish tank right??.... why would they want that. It takes a certain type of person to own fish especially long term. Yes lots end up dying but I think dogs or cats hold the title for most "abused"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I would disagree, i would have to argue that many other fish have died from being treated badly than cats and dogs, and cats and dogs are mistreated from lack of humility not ignorance like fish are. Overlooking the dog and cat meat trade in asian culture of course.

I have many friends who buy oscars and other large fish and throw them in realy small tanks, and have really no knowledge of fish keeping at all, its sad honestly, freshwater fish is honestly a very easy pet to keep alive, 1. cycle your tank 2. heat it. 3. dont over stock/put uncombatible fish in it 4. feed them 5. do water changes/clean filters with tank water. 5 steps and you have healthy fish how hard is that, unfortunately there are places like petsmart and petco to mis-lead people on how to care for fish.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Unfortunately, and in general, animals closer to us are treated better. What do I mean? In general, people treat mammals better (cats and dogs) OVERALL with higher value than fish. And I think that Fish are usually held in higher regard than insects, arachnids, etc, since they are even more foreign to us. Its not right its just a weird human thing that many people overcome. As most of us on this forum. Its the cute and cuddly hypothesis - as a population we give those things for value for some reason

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
I think people tend to view aquariums more like furniture than a habitat for an animal.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You should put a warning to that link, some people are sensitive to those graphic pictures.
Those are some pretty brutal photos....not easy on the eyes at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store