New Tank Upgrade question

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Well its time for an upgrade and I am having the LFS build a glass tank. Before I go there and ask them if this is possible I thought I would post on here and see if anyone has any opinions. Here is my situation. I need a larger tank with good width but I also have to make sure I can move it because I am renting and the next move will be a house purchase so I have to make sure this tank will fit through the door. To go into the basement is pretty easy in my current dwelling . Just straight through the back door and down . The Door is 32 wide. The fish I currently have need more width than the height and they are glass bangers. Would it be possible for them to build a tank 28" wide 24" high 84 " long? Would 1/2 " thick glass do the trick ? Or is this over doing it ? Thank you for any input

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dude...I'm sure you have a good reason...but....why not acrylic?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would honestly go acrylic it is way lighter but I don't have access to acrylic around here and don't know where I could get ahold of one that would be decently priced and to get it shipped here. Any idea's on where I can look ?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
fyi - the correct formula is length x width x height.
84 x 28 x 24.

my tank is 72 x 30 x 27 and is made with 12 mm glass sides which is a bit thinner that 1/2 inch. in this case it isn't the length that's the main need for glass strength, it's the height. 24" should be fine with 1/2". I do have 2 cross braces that don't have much stress on them, so don't let them forget the support.:D
my bottom is tempered, which is good because I have about 375 lbs of substrate.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Acrylic is more expensive. Midwest Custom Aquariums is in Minnesota, they do custom acrylic tanks. They'll build you whatever you want and ship it to you. Tank, stand, sump.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Thank you Gill I will look into having the bottom tempered . I will have quite a bit of substrate in there. And Ragin ill definitely look at that website . Im pretty sure these people who are building it will have braces placed onto the tank. I wouldn't take it home without ! Im pretty picky and I am still iffy about letting the lfs build a tank but they have told me they have built bigger and their main display tank is close to what I was looking for . Another year or two of space is all I need before I can go bigger . Thank you .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store