Florida gar and black arowana... good idea? bad idea?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Topic. They would be growing out together in a 180g and migrating to something larger at around the 20" mark. A still larger tank awaits when I finish my ba. Are they suitable together as tank mates?

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
My Florida gar killed my Pearl Stingray, and would bite my RTG arowana slowly removing its fin until it eventually would've died before I realized they weren't going to get along so I sold it.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Ouch. Any other input? I can always pick up another grow out tank until I start on my dream tank, but if they wont be compatable there then there probably isnt a point. I only have plans for one monster tank. Could it possibly work in a 1200 gallon? I would like to own aros, but gar are much more fascinating to me. I have had my pair for less than a week, and they already have warmed up to me. They really seem to enjoy my presence :D

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
I had a black aro with my florida gar. I had no issues. I have never had any issues with any tankmate with my florida gar...There have been a few.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What happened to the black aro?

How's the gar, by the way? He migrate to that sick set up you posted yet? Great find by the way.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Shouldn't be a problem. The ark will be more aggressive in feeding though

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
What happened to the black aro?

How's the gar, by the way? He migrate to that sick set up you posted yet? Great find by the way.
I sold the black aro after a year, I think for $250. He isn't in the new tank yet. I have to remove the old coraline algae, install new bulkheads, get the plumbing set up, get sand and start filling with ro/di water, and use most of my water from my 180. I could do it in a day...But I don't have a day to devote to getting it done. Soon though! How's your guy doing?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
All nighters, my friend ;) I pull an all nighter every Thursday to work on my novel. There isn't time without them in my 30 hours of work/30 hours of school week.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have some pondering to do, I suppose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store