another ich and salt thread

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
Hi all

ive been into fish keeping for some time now.. mainly oscars and other cichlids.

i have a 220 gal (us) system.. includes a 55 gal sump. not much decor..
ive added the 2 tspns per gallon ( 5 grams per gallon) of table salt (from all i read its just as good) 3 days ago.
and heat has been at 85 -86 F for 4 - 5 days ..
ive also cleaned my sump out.
i noticed spots first on a new oscar which has cleared .. and today one of my grass cutter cat fish has small spots ..

any recomendations.. im also running a 36 gal uv sterilizer.. with a 4 LT/H drip system and 2 stage water filter..

cheers

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
It will take awhile to clear out all the ick by raise temp and salt, I would add "Nox Ich" for 3 days then do some water change and treat it again if ich and white spot still present, depend on your flow rate your UV might able to kill parasites also vacuum your gravel if you have it.
*NO OFFENSE HERE* In general most folks failed about flow rate vs UV light, they thought added a UV light and their tank will be free of parasites :)

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
ta for the reply..
the uv is on its own seperate pump, of 150 gal /hr. just circulating inside the sump, (maybe similar to a skimmmer setup in marine) i know this wont be a cure but thought it would help some ...
my overall return rate is based on the return pump, Syncra 3.0 Pump: 714gph, 9.9' max head, 4.30psi
my head hight is possibly 1.5 meters..

im running a bean animal overflow design from the main tank ,which ive been more than happy with..

i didnt really want to go down the road of meds.. but if needs must

again thanks..

ps i hope to be more involved on the forum now i know ive been away for some time.. but ive been taking alot of info from this forum over the past couple of years,,

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If the concentration of salt is less than 3ppt(parts per thousand) it will not kill the most robust ich parasites.
When treating, I add rock salt by the handful throughout the day until my salinity meter reads slightly over 3ppt, and this does the trick.
Just for reference, 3ppt makes the water taste slightly salty.
If your water doesn't taste a tad salty, you haven't added enough to wipe out the ich, and also for reference, sea water is @ 35ppt.

JakeH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2009
Houston, TX
UV will kill the floaties, but does nothing to the ick that's stuck on decor/plants or resting on the substrate--I usually get flamed for this, but I am a huge believer in copper treatments. Since you have a catfish the dosage would have to be extremely small, but in my experience low dose copper is much more effective than high dose salt/heat & it treats a much broader spectrum of health issues. Salt is extremely painful to catfish. Please do not try salt WITH copper though, change your water until the salt is gone, then start copper at low dose & the ick will be gone in about a week. If not, change water again & add another small dose of copper. Lower doseage for more time is the idea with copper, as it doesn't take much to do the job, you just have to keep it going long enough for all the dormant ick pods to open so you can have "killer" in the water throughout it's life cycle.

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
well just an up date its been over a week now after the salt and high temperature treatment.. i see no signs of ick, the odd fish flashing very rarley, i see this as normal behavior.. god i ich my self but it dosnt mean i have an infestation.. (well i hope not) hahaha

so fingers crossed thanks all

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If I were you and I still saw fish flashing I would try treating with ParaGuard for a few days. Effective safe med.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Any Malachite Green (turning water green) based medication works a lot faster and more effective than salt and heat treatment. Many people still advocate salt and heat treatment in the myth that salt and heat is safe, and MG is harsh. You want to use a remedy that is harsh to the pathogens, but not the hosts, and if you follow the instruction, MG is perfectly safe. Salt and heat is unsafe because it works too slowly to eliminate ick before the disease is cured, and ick often returns after treatment because it hasn't been wiped out. Also, some fish are sensitive to and cannot tolerate high heat and salinity. When I used MG, I feel safe that if I follow the instruction, ick will be wiped out in a few days because MG is harsh to the pathogens.

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
Hi thanks for the responses.. The malachite green . What brand do you recommend. . Is either para guard or malachite harmful to cat fish or loaches..??

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Yes, catfish/loachs are sensitive to MG/FORM. The recommended dose is half strength. If they responded to heat/salt, I would increase salinity and try that. Malachite Green stains blue by the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store