Dual Aquaclear setup

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys!

I run a dual AC110 setup on my 90g aquarium, i was just wondering what your input what be on the setup im trying.
In 1 ac110 i have it loaded with biomax and bioballs only, and in the other i have the ac 110 sponge with a carbon pad layer under it (the carbon pads you can cut up into any shape and use in canisters, i figured it can act as a secondary sponge layer also). Would this combo work? Or do you really always HAVE to have the Aquaclear sponge in an aquaclear? Iv read a few other custom setups and only stumbled upon one other post that had somebody running 1 aquaclear with just biomax while pretty much everybody else always had some kind of combo that always had a sponge involved.

What say you?

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Your setup sounds ok to me, depending on your stocking of course. You may find yourself needing more mechanical filtration though. I usually like to keep the original setup in each AC 110 simply because I'm not relying on just one filter for biological filtration. If something happens to that filter, your bio is gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
When I use dual filters on a tank I like to keep both filters with the same setup..that way if I take one down for maintenance I'm not disturbing the bio media in the other. If for some reason your filter with bio goes down then your relying on your filter that's mostly mechanical to keep up.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Oops lol I guess I could have said "what aqua freak said"...lol didn't read his post first

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I like to always run mechanical filtration before my bio media. It makes the biomax or whatever easier to clean.

I've ran HOB's full of just biomax and it was messy, it sucked up lots of waste and shot it back out all over the tank, and the end result was a bunch of slimy ceramic rings which were more difficult to clean.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I run duo AC 500's (old school 110's) on a 90 gallon tank, both filters have 1 large sponge, some finer blue white media, topped off with a bag full of bio-max rings. The mechanical media also acts as biofiltration, and as others stated having both filters set up in this manner adds redundancy and an extra layer of protection to your set up.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have two AC70's on my 90 gallon Altum grow out tank. I use the sponge some bio-media and a mesh bag of peat, both are set up the same. I alternate cleanings and do twice weekly 50% water changes. I opted for 70's over 90's to keep the water movement in the tank to a minimum. I also use a large sponge filter for extra bio-filtration.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Looks like ill go back tothe way it was before lol. Thanku guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store