DIY PVC heater guard safe? PVC glue?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Quick question I couldn't find an answer by searching. I've made a DIY PVC heater guard for a 800W titanium heater. I've drilled dozens of holes in the PVC so there is water flow to disperse heat. from what I've read, the heater won't melt or cause the PVC to release toxins. I did use PVC glue to glue the caps onto the DIY heater guard to make it secure. Could the heater cause the glue to release toxins into the water even if the PVC itself isn't releasing any toxins? The heater has a rubber end and top so it never physically touches the PVC.

Just another paranoid fishkeeper trying to keep fishes safe.

Thanks

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
Imo you didnt need to use the cement. There isn't any water pressure building up in the pipe to deal with. Unsure about the cement melting

Maybe cut off the cap and replace with new cap without cement

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Imo you didnt need to use the cement. There isn't any water pressure building up in the pipe to deal with. Unsure about the cement melting

Maybe cut off the cap and replace with new cap without cement

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 to everything stated above

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I used the cement to make sure the heater doesn't come out of the pvc tube. I've got a few catfish in the tank and I had a peacock bass burn an eye in the past on heaters. I drilled a hole in the cap big enough for the cord, cut it in half and then glued the two pieces back on so only the cord comes out but the element is stuck inside.

The tank just finished cycling. I think I'll try a few of my cheaper fish first and see how it goes.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I really can't see a "typical" aquarium size fish powerful enough to dislodge an endcap off a pvc. Those pvc endcaps goes on pretty darn tight. But if you feel that this isn't enough then maybe try a single stainless steel screw on each endcap

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I drilled one end cap the diameter of the power cord, the end cap that is glued. I did this so the power cord could go through. Then cut it in half because the drilled opening was smaller than the power plug and heater itself, so I could secure the heater inside.

Wish mfk would let me load pics

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
How'd this end up Diesel? Also, may I ask the reasoning behind this project - was it to protect your fish from the titanium heater? I use two 500 W titanium heaters so I'm curious. Thanks.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Glad you asked bro! Working amazing. Still won't let me upload pics. I've built two now with 800 W titanium heaters. My fish haven't been burned at all. I was concerned about the pvc glue being submerged and slightly heated but no issues at all. Just drill one top cap just wide enough for heater cord, then cut it in half, insert heater and close cap around the cord with heater inside. I pvc primed and glued the split cap back on. No way the heater is getting out. Drilled holes in the pipe for water flow. Perfect heater cover for just a couple bucks

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Ah, glad to hear it works well. I'll keep that in mind. I currently have both heaters in the sump so don't have the concern, but good to know. Thanks.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I usually put my heaters in my sumps too. But this is on my pentair pond. So I'm using a 55 gallon barrel full of Japanese mats, poret foam and 20g of pond matrix. No room for heater so it had to go in the pond with the fishes. 800 watt titanium just gets so hot I don't want to risk burns on them. When pictures work again I'll load some

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store