Official SCUBA thread 2015

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, most divers aren't going to be active this early in the year due to cold water temps but some people in warmer areas might be so figured I'd start this thread now! I personally won't be diving until at least early May but I should be snorkeling by April this year.

Here's a quick count from last year's thread.
Total Pages: 16
Total Posts: 151

Pretty much the same rules pertain to this thread as last year's, I'll revise and repost them.
1) This thread is about anything that has to do with diving: pictures, videos, stories, personal records, etc.
2) The last post on last year's thread was on 11/08/14 so if anyone has anything past that date that they meant to post on last year's thread but didn't get a chance to, include it here please.
3) don't hate on others (as applied with all threads :) )
4) have fun with this people, this isn't MY thread it's ALL YOURS, I just created it!

I wish everyone the best dives they've ever had this year, remember to post your pics and videos people!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's something to start this thread off right!
[video=youtube;NUHmnJhn5yo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHmnJhn5yo[/video]

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Very successful scuba club meeting tonight, we planned out locations for the bulk of our diving this year. Of course, I'll still be diving strawberry quarry a few times as a norm since it's extremely local but here are some other locations I should be going to this year.

-Gilboa Quarry, OH
-Summersville Lake, WV
-Lake Erie, PA (Presque Isle)
-Lake Huron, MI (Thunder Bay)
-Niagra River, NY
-Bonne Terre Mine, MO
-Morehead City, NC ("Graveyard of The Atlantic") Or Lake Rawlings, VA as a backup if bad weather occurs
-Florida Springs, FL
-Key Largo, FL

Im going to be very well traveled after this year :).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Change of plans, dive season will be starting much earlier for me this year than ever before! The first dive trip I have planned for this year with my LSC (local scuba club) is scheduled to be late March at Bonne Terre Mine in Missouri. It'd be far to cold this early for most lakes and quarries but since the mine is 100% underground the water stays at a constant, comfortable 58 degrees year round. Not sure how many dives we have planned yet but we're making it a 2-3 day trip. Hoping to possibly get in some fish collecting or sampling at the local creek(s) there as well as I plan on doing for most dive trips this year and maybe some fishing too. After that, I should be starting to snorkel my local creeks around April.

Anyone else been up to anything?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Change of plans, dive season will be starting much earlier for me this year than ever before! The first dive trip I have planned for this year with my LSC (local scuba club) is scheduled to be late March at Bonne Terre Mine in Missouri. It'd be far to cold this early for most lakes and quarries but since the mine is 100% underground the water stays at a constant, comfortable 58 degrees year round. Not sure how many dives we have planned yet but we're making it a 2-3 day trip. Hoping to possibly get in some fish collecting or sampling at the local creek(s) there as well as I plan on doing for most dive trips this year and maybe some fishing too. After that, I should be starting to snorkel my local creeks around April.

Anyone else been up to anything?
On a work trip in Hawaii. Going diving, I'm taking the go pro. Will link some videos tomorrow.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Okay it took forever to download the videos from my GoPro to my computer, then upload them to youtube but I have my first dive done. Great dive at Turtle Cove in Honolulu. The dive held up to its name with some great sea turtle action. Lots of giant turtles, so much fun. First dive is in 4 sections, as my gopro breaks up continuous recording into 2G sections. so parts 1-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS-KAvgvr0w&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XanBbN3tCME&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f69OuyDFh88&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uC0bvC_1C0&feature=youtu.be

It's been a long time since I last dove. Took me a while to equalize and not think about buoyancy so be easy on me :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Last scuba club meeting we made a decision at the end that we will be (really just I will be, but I needed the approval from the pres and owner first) stocking my local quarry with more fish! Right now it only contains Bluegills, LMBs, Black Crappies, Channel Cats, Yellow Bullheads and the occasional Brown Bullhead, Pumpkinseed, and Northern Pike. I'll be stocking it with more pumpkinseeds as well as Yellow Perch, Walleye, Trout, various Cyprinids and Darters, and several species of rough fish. However, we didn't discuss funding at the last meeting, which we will next week, and the amount of money we get for this project will determine the amount of fish I'll be stocking.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
First dive of the year should be on the first Sunday in May. Getting the itch as the weather warms up and can't wait to break out the gear! Anyone been diving yet this year?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry for the very late report but finally got my first two dives in this year on June 6th at Strawberry Quarry. Vis was pretty bad in most places at 5-8' but the fish were plentiful as you got closer to shore, didn't see a single fish very far from shore though. Got some nice footage of Bluegills and Largemouth. Saw more Crappie than usual and got some videos of them too but the files were corrupted (oddly enough photo or video number 17 is always corrupt on this memory card, have to remember that for next dive). Pretty good dives overall. Next dives I plan on being this weekend at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio but allergies are pretty bad in the area so if they're to bad to dive I'll be going to Erie for fishing instead, as of now I should be diving though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store