Lighting suggestion

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
My 75 was planted but I tore it down when I moved and am restocking it with natives with fake plants. I was using a 48" finnex ray 2 light which I love but I can't use it now with a non planted tank.

I'm in search of ideas for new lighting. I have the hood that came with my tank but it had no bulbs. I'm not sure what size the bulbs are because I never even used it, t8 probably?

What are some good bulbs to bring out the color of the fish? Are there any decent cheap diy LED options? I've seen tanks with surface shimmer and it looks really cool. To achieve that I assume I just use leds and put them several inches above the surface with good surface agitation?

If anyone is interested in the Ray2 I would be willing to sell it, just haven't made a for sale thread.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
For your sunfish, just a standard T8 would work, the white-yellow light would be better than the blueish light for bringing out color.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
For your sunfish, just a standard T8 would work, the white-yellow light would be better than the blueish light for bringing out color.
depends on the fish and the color he wants to enhance. lots of blues on some of my sunnies. those blue iridescent cheek lines look especially good under my 7000k LED.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store