black arowana and gar as tankmates

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I asked this in the gar subforum and received little feedback, so I figured I'd consult the aro pros. Do they make suitable companions at similar sizes? They would be housed together in a 180 grow out for no more than 2 years, and would hopefully migrate into the same tank eventually. I have seen scraps of information here and there suggesting that their pairing is not recommended, but I'm looking for a smoking gun. I would love to own an aro, but not if it would suffer because of awkwardly chosen tank mates.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
They cohab fine. I've kept gars with silvers, a black aro, and a jardini. (Not all at the same time)

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Jordy, you rule. Just in case you didn't know. I see your posts every so often. :p Can you elaborate a little?

Was there ever any aggression at all, Siddons?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
This is not a recommended combo as per the "forums literature" (stickys etc) but the fact is I´ve seen many users with it.
The main cons that are pointed out have to do with feeding time: the gars usually like to take their time to eat and do it in a calm manner and some of them freak out when there are agressive feeders in the tank and may injure themselves. Furthermore, when/if they decide to eat, there is no food in the tank.
But perhaps if you have a bigger gar with a juvie aro the gar gets used to it and is able to compete for the food without getting stressed.

I really don´t have first hand experience because I keep my gars and aro in different tanks: gars with bichirs and a pom-pom knife; aro with leporinus and a panaque.
Looking at my fish and seeing the time my gars take to eat, they would have real problems if they were with the RTG aro

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
My gars and aros were calmer after I separated them. Had them together for a few years. Once they were separate the behavior of them calmed greatly. After that I never found a gar on the floor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
No aggression at all between the gars and arowanas. At feeding time the arowanas would try to steal the food from the gars, but the gars learned to eat quickly.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
You received little feed back as the gar aro question is as old as gars themselves. A search would show that. Gars and silver fish don't work out in the end. I was a supporter of aro and gar combo before. Then I tried without aros. Worked out great and had better fish for them being separate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store