External pumps

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Anyone have any first hand experience with evolution pumps? How about fluid dynamics? I know the evolution is going to read a little higher watts than advertised due to running it at higher volts than Tested. Was just wondering if any of you use them and what your opinions might be? Noisy,quiet, reliable, POS? I stumbled upon fluid dynamics, seems they have a baldor motor but I can't find much info on them.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
If you are looking for firsthand feedback on Evolution/Advantage pumps, I would try doing a google search for "koiphen evolution pump" & "koiphen Fluid Dynamics pump." You'll see lots of relevant search results for the Evolution pumps, but not as many for Fluid Dynamics since they haven't been around as long.

It's kinda sad that this site has so many monsterfishkeepers, but so few monsterfishtanks, where these types of pumps would be used. I didn't get too much help on here either when I was researching pumps for my tank...I had to jump to pond forums to get first hand experience/advice.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I used evolution 8500 pumps and they were awesome. They have a little humm to them but nothing major, very reliable, the 8500 pulled the exact wattage that was in the description

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
When I was researching pumps I stayed away from pumps that catered strictly to ponds. I was afraid they would be noisier than I wad willing to accept. That was the primary reason I went with Reeflo. They seem to have a lot of seal issues but I hope that is primarily a salt issue.

Sent from my car phone

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
If you are looking for firsthand feedback on Evolution/Advantage pumps, I would try doing a google search for "koiphen evolution pump" & "koiphen Fluid Dynamics pump." You'll see lots of relevant search results for the Evolution pumps, but not as many for Fluid Dynamics since they haven't been around as long.

It's kinda sad that this site has so many monsterfishkeepers, but so few monsterfishtanks, where these types of pumps would be used. I didn't get too much help on here either when I was researching pumps for my tank...I had to jump to pond forums to get first hand experience/advice.
I agree about the first hand experience. I think there are more pond keepers than monsterfishtanks.
The basics are the same though. One needs to compare the pump performance curve of the different pumps to determine the best fit for the application. Wattage quoted may be the max or the average, so be careful. Wattage varies depending on the load put on the pump. Some manufacturers will provide the wattage performance curve upon request.
Pumps also come in different ratings. Low, Medium and High pressure. Obviously, for high head pressure like for a pressurized filter system you would go with a high pressure pump. Generally, the higher the pressure the higher the rpm. This is where variable speed pump come in handy for people who wants to dial it in. Seals are always the weak point as far as reliability mainly due to the sensitivity in installation tolerance. Unless it is a cheap pump, most pumps are equipped with a Buna or ceramic seal which are applicable for saltwater. I've seen in the past three years that manufacturers are offering many different motor options in order to lower prices for the consumer and increase profit. A original Baldor motor pump may now be available with a Marathon, Emerson or Century motor.
I believe the one thing to watch out for is operating temperature. Being installed outdoor vs in an enclosed cabinet make a big difference.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I went with a fluid dynamics 4600. Spoke with Craig as he was very helpful. He said they supply reeflo with their baldor motors. Essentially I got a reeflo barracuda for $250 shipped. Will keep everyone posted as to noise and performance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store