My auto-drip project, few questions

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I want to set up an auto-drip on my tank this month. My thoughts were to use sharkbite with a valve on both the hot and cold water lines leading to my basement sink to an appliance line T, through appliance line into a whole house cartridge water filter (carbon and sediment, if not more), and back out via appliance line (or whatever) into my sump. May have it go into a filter sock at the end depending on the water filter I buy, but that would be easy. My water here is pretty good, never had any issues with tap water. My wet/dry sump is drilled and plugged near the bottom of the tank, so I was just going to put a PVC elbow of sorts, probably 1.5" at a certain level and have that drain straight into my drain downstairs or the sink beside it, the sump is right beside them. What I am curious on is:

1) Anything I should add?
2) Anything I should change to the design?
3) Can anyone recommend a specific whole house filter system, particularly with good quality replacement cartridges?
4) Any flaw in my design that could lead to disaster that you can see (in regards to water quality for my rays, or safety, should I make the drain overflow bigger, etc.)?
5) If I am already undertaking this project, does anyone have a better idea to set up a basic auto-drip system for my first time and not being amazingly well versed at plumbing?

I can't help but feel like my design is a bit too simple, I see a ton of these being made that are so complicated that I struggle to follow, so I am hoping for a single tank that is running fine the way it is now that simplicity won't be a drawback and I can elaborate on it after the initial stage is done. Thanks in advance.

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
I am trying the same thing. I don't have a drain nearby so I actually have a sump pump with an automatic float switch that pumps it out. Just have a watt 5 filter for 20,000 gallons before it drips in

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I think your design should work fine, though I honestly don't think you need to tap into the hot water as long as your heaters are strong enough and your drip rate isn't too fast. I'm actually going to try and do something very similar to what you are doing. This video may be helpful if you have never seen it before. My thought is keep it simple. The more complex a design, the more room for errors and issues.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
Not needed, but i just added a solenoid to mine. I had a constant drip going that i always tinkered with, either it was to slow and i was always checking outside to see how much water was actually being replaced then id turn it up and almost overflow the tank over and over and over. Now it spits out 5 gallons in 30 minutes at 12 pm and 12 am so i know EXACTLY how much water I'm replacing. Solenoid cost me about $5 and i had hard lined it in with the power supply for my led lights. Its been about two weeks and so far so good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store