Do you breed for money??

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I know it's very hard for a person to breed and make money off it yes you will make money but to make enough to pay for the parent fish, tanks, water, food... Well it's hard todo . But do you breed and sell the babies if so what do you do with the money you make? My lfs will give me 1/3-1/2 price they sell for in store credit I usually use the credit for food or new equipment. I'm thinking with my fronts either taking less money and seeing if then they will give cash or selling to the public for cash reason is I want to fund other projects

So what do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I usually post it on craigslist and whatever doesn't sell I trade them in at my lfs for store credit. I get 1/4 of what they sell them for. Anything that doesn't sell at all period will be feed to my other fish.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I breed dragonblood peacock cichlid and used to venustus cichlid. I always use the money for my fish. Mainly food and my last batch that I sold I used that to pickup some Irwinni cats.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
When I finally do go serious in fish breeding, I'll breed for the fun of it, but at the same time, I'll also try to recoup my expenses.
Ideally, I would:
collect wild fish that I find desirable
breed the fish that I find interesting
raise the babies to sellable size
keep the desirable babies (interesting color morphs, etc.) for future broodstock
sell all others on aquabid, craigslist, LFS, etc, at a stable price that is anywhere from 1.1X to 2.0X that of the cost of raising said babies
use money to either lower costs of next brood in order to reduce pricing, or to raise funds for the next breeding project.

I think this is a bit naive, but when I get there, I'll learn from my mistakes.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I breed my fish just because I want some challenging and prove that to myself that I can do it, I gave most the fries (raised to reasonable safe sizes) to local kids/hobby (I kept best looking one for myself :) ) the rest will trade in at LFS for fish food or equipment or some special order fishes :)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i made 120 dollars, 90 uk pounds on one batch of midas. i sold them all via classifieds for 2 pound each with bulk discounts... there breeding was sporadic at best tho so not really an income. maybe breeding bd stingrays would pay if you had enough of em and was economical about setup and feeding.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I breed almost every fish I keep and I sell them through aquabid and my local club and what ever doesnt sell, I give to the lfs.
I use the money I make on food and more fish :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store