1 1/2" bulkheads enough?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I'm getting ready to start on the plumbing for my 540. I plan on doing a modified coast to coast overflow with a bean animal drain set up. I'm looking for a max flow in the 3600gph range. Do you think 1 1/2" bulkheads into 2" pvc could handle that flow?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm

I like this article. Real world numbers. These are what you can run SAFELY. I always like this for a a base line. Its actual tested flow numbers with concrete evidence.

I would imagine with a beananimal setup running full siphon, between the siphon and low flow drain you should be in the neighborhood of 3000gph.

If your going to use 2" pipe maybe use 2" bulkheads? They aren't too much bigger. I feel like thats alot safer for 3600gph.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I agree, if possible I'd use a two inch bulkhead, I'm not sure a 1.5" will quite get you there, though it also depends on the drop you will have. Plus if you are flowing too much you can always cut it back. Wont hurt to have that extra room to play with in this situation.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Good call. The extra margin of error will be well received. Your floor will thank you lol

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store