Cool Trick For Oil Slick

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Some of you may know this, some may not. Ive never had the problem before so I did not know it. My Oscars are the terrible two, constantly knocking things over ripping out the plants ect. So I have been coming home and fishing around in there with my dirty dirty hands (not really I wash when im done work). Even the soap can create this problem though ! So I have been eyeing a particularly oil like film on top of my tank. It looks almost like a gas spill. Turned filters off for 30 min, laid paper towel across the water surface picked it up gently and it was almost gone! Did it once more all gone !

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I get that as well in one of my tanks, although not sure if it comes from me messing with the tank or the frozen bloodworms i feed... Eitherway, not sure you need to soak the paper towels for that long? I normally leave them just a few minutes and pull them up...

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
those are nice, nah I soaked paper towel for a couple of seconds. Had filters off for 30 min for water to be still.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You might look into Eheim 350 Surface Skimmer :) it's keeping my tank surface crystal clean!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=pla&catargetid=530005150000135580&cadevice=t

Or just buy this. I put two, one on each side of my 150, and it cleared it all up within five minutes of being plugged in. Now my spraybar agitates the surface enough there's never a buildup but those little Eheim surface skimmers are great.
Nigel beat you to it

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
lol nigel haha

if you have current and a over flow you wouldnt need it as it get sucked
into the overflow eventually lol

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
None of my tanks has any sort of oil slick on the surface. No overflow, but has good current.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Tank has a hob and a Can on it, no over flow. Seems the intank skimmer things would need a pretty constant water level. I don't have a topper on my tank so water drops very quick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store