Using Heat Ich treatment on Gold Cloud Minnows

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
Hey all,

Just wanted some input....

Introduced a few new ottos to my 10 gallon tank (Stock is 6 Gold cloud minnows 4 Ottos 1 Upside down catfish) last week and... ICH breakout.
I've dealt with Ich in the past and prefer a no Meds heat treatment approach. Now I know Gold Cloud Minnows are technically cold water fish, I keep the tank at 70 degrees with no problems, but can the gold clouds handle a week or so at temps above 86-87 to kill off the ICH?

Thanks for any help!

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I to prefer the heat/salt treatment but I had one fish that was not handling the high temps well so I dropped the temp back to normal and used API ICH Cure and it worked great. I didn't loose a single fish. I am becoming a big fan of API products.

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
Thanks for the advice!
So im thinking I'll start off with out meds and if things look dicey I'll get myself some API ICH Cure.

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
So, Its seems like Gold Clouds are hardy enough to withstand higher temps to an extent.

Started to raise the temp to 88 degrees with one 200 Watt heater but for whatever reason it would only heat up to about 84-85. So... I threw in a small 25 watt heater to help and everything was fine with the water temp just under 90.

All fish seemed fine except my 4-5 year old upside down catfish who I see nmaybe 1-2 times a year because he hides all day every day. Well, he was out of his hiding spot and completely covered in ich and didn't make it. (He may have been infected first after introducing the new fish, thus being too far gone as I never really see him).

Fast forward to this morning I wake up and some how the Temp hit 95! Not good.... lost 2 gold clouds because of high temps... I removed the smaller 25 watt heater and lowered the 200 watt.

Now Im monitoring and hoping I burned off the Ich (They cant reproduce after 86 and die in free swim form at temps over 87-88 I believe.)

Not a happy fish keeper today :(
In the future I may just go the meds route... On the bright side I did not see any signs of Ich on the ottos and remaining Gold CLouds...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ParaGuard. Never killed a fish with it, but man does it take care of ich quick fast and in a hurry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store