Freshwater sponge filter!

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Hey guys I had a great idea to put freshwater sponges in my sump for filtration. Anyone tried this? Any tips would be appreciated.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
That certainly is a good idea. The sumps allow you a great deal of versatility in regards to extra forms of filtration. I used to have a UV filter in my sump: the Green Machine. I liked that it created a bit more turbulence, plus the UV sterilization is a bonus. I currently have a powerhead with an air line connected to stir up the water and keep it well oxygenated.

When I get some extra cash, I plan on putting a media tumbler in one of my larger sumps, just not sure which media I'm going to go with. Torn between a good bio media like K1, or possibly something like Purigen.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
That certainly is a good idea. The sumps allow you a great deal of versatility in regards to extra forms of filtration. I used to have a UV filter in my sump: the Green Machine. I liked that it created a bit more turbulence, plus the UV sterilization is a bonus. I currently have a powerhead with an air line connected to stir up the water and keep it well oxygenated.

When I get some extra cash, I plan on putting a media tumbler in one of my larger sumps, just not sure which media I'm going to go with. Torn between a good bio media like K1, or possibly something like Purigen.
Never fluidise purigen, it works best when it is static with slow flowrate.

Also dont use Purigen, use Macropore, it is exactly the same but half the price!!!

tumbling Purigen/Macropore has the following issues:

1: The media breaks down
2: Does not react well
3: Very hard to contain it due to the tiny particle size

I have mine static in a bag in a media reactor!!!

IMG_20141229_094249.jpg

I have 3/4 of the output from my 2262 going direct to the spraybar, and the other 1/4 of the output going through a 40w UV, then through the reactor that has Chemzee and then the white bag of Macropore at the top....I have a 300l tank and there is enough Macropore there for 2500l water!!!

i will have to clean the Macropore maybe once a year...

IMG_20141229_094249.jpg

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I learn something new every day on this site. Thanks 4D3. I'll keep that in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I learn something new every day on this site. Thanks 4D3. I'll keep that in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
no problem! glad i could help.

I went through the same thing about a year ago, i tried so many times to fluidize purigen and macropore.

then i got in tough with the main supplier of macropore who confirmed that it is exactly the same resin as purigen, made in the same factory, and he also confirmed that fluidizing it is the worst thing you can go with it for the reasons i listed above.

He said a maximum flow of 1000L/h was all it could cope with, other than that the water does not have enough contact time to react properly!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store