WC or CB?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Is there anyway to tell for sure unless you were told from the person who caught the fish? Any different traits between the two? I know some species are hard to breed in captivity.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Obviously you can't be 100% sure, but I think senegals are a perfect example, that sometimes you have to use some reasoning. The difference between WC and CB depends IMO on the species. Some like senegals very rarely achieve larger sizes or don't have other characteristics that WCs have (long slender, other unexplainable traits). And some like Teugelsi you can tell pretty easy whether it's CB or WC, by it's pattern. The CB teugelsi that are coming out have a unique pattern to them. Other key variables come into play when determining weather a poly is CB or WC like where you get it, for some at what size you get it, and for other at what price. It really depends on the individual case. As far as some more characteristics CB endlis have more of a short rounded head with frog eyes (most do at least), while WC have a longer head with more natural eye placement.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Obviously you can't be 100% sure, but I think senegals are a perfect example, that sometimes you have to use some reasoning. The difference between WC and CB depends IMO on the species. Some like senegals very rarely achieve larger sizes or don't have other characteristics that WCs have (long slender, other unexplainable traits). And some like Teugelsi you can tell pretty easy whether it's CB or WC, by it's pattern. The CB teugelsi that are coming out have a unique pattern to them. Other key variables come into play when determining weather a poly is CB or WC like where you get it, for some at what size you get it, and for other at what price. It really depends on the individual case. As far as some more characteristics CB endlis have more of a short rounded head with frog eyes (most do at least), while WC have a longer head with more natural eye placement.
We have a teugelsi and he was the one I was really wondering about. But that helps a lot. Thank you!

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If you post a pic I can point out some of the differences that aren't easily explainable with just words

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Teugelsi Example.pngteugelsi example 2.png so besides the size difference there are some differences that to me stand out. One is the pattern. If you look at your teugelsi compared to the teugelsi on the left (CB) they have a very similar pattern. While their base colors may not look very similar they are on different tank bottoms. Another key difference I have noticed between the CB teugelsi is the lack of an elongated flatter head. It it noticeably more round than it's WC counter part. Lastly it's tail is almost rounded compared to the WC teugelsi. It is more oval like compared to where the WC teugelsi's tail keeps going until it meets the bottom making close to a curved V. (These pictures are not mine and I do not take credit for them)

Teugelsi Example.png

teugelsi example 2.png

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So what do you guys think? Wc or cb? By the way, this fella is stressed from a tank cleaning.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store