Might be picking up a 150g, lots of questions.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
So I found a really good price on a 150g on craigslist. It comes with lights and tops. First question, will 2 250W heaters be enough to keep it around 80* in an unfinished basement? It is heated but idk how much colder it is then the house. Second question is filtration, I have an emperor 400 I will probably move to it but I know thats not enough. I want to run an overhead sump like I have on my 75 but that is having a hard time handling my bioload as it is, so any recommendations? Third is a stand. I built one for my 75 and that wasnt too hard, so should I build another out of wood or should I use concrete blocks? Preferably whichever is cheaper and easier.. Fourth question is stock. Right now I have a 12" Lap Bichir, 8" Teugelsi Bichir, 8" Florida Gar, 6" Featherfin catfish and a 8" Gold Clown Knife. Looking for other things I can add safely that will get along and wont get too big. I was thinking more species of bichir and something else. Will consider anything really. I think that about all of my questions. I dont have a huge budget for this so keep that in mind. If I could run a big canister I would. I would consider a sump as long and my pump isnt too pricey.
Thank you.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you get the 150. You could use the 75 g as ur sump. The waste will be lots once those fish get bigger and maybe adding more. The heaters should be ok. Would do a concrete stand. Add some geos and red hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
I would prefer 300W heaters, although 2 250w might work. Filtration, I am fan of canisters. Xp3's work well (2 of them)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
So I found a really good price on a 150g on craigslist. It comes with lights and tops. First question, will 2 250W heaters be enough to keep it around 80* in an unfinished basement? It is heated but idk how much colder it is then the house. Second question is filtration, I have an emperor 400 I will probably move to it but I know thats not enough. I want to run an overhead sump like I have on my 75 but that is having a hard time handling my bioload as it is, so any recommendations? Third is a stand. I built one for my 75 and that wasnt too hard, so should I build another out of wood or should I use concrete blocks? Preferably whichever is cheaper and easier.. Fourth question is stock. Right now I have a 12" Lap Bichir, 8" Teugelsi Bichir, 8" Florida Gar, 6" Featherfin catfish and a 8" Gold Clown Knife. Looking for other things I can add safely that will get along and wont get too big. I was thinking more species of bichir and something else. Will consider anything really. I think that about all of my questions. I dont have a huge budget for this so keep that in mind. If I could run a big canister I would. I would consider a sump as long and my pump isnt too pricey.
Thank you.
The 2 heaters should be fine, but highly recommend hooking them up to a controller.
The 400 won't be enough filtration. Look into Sunsun and Odyssea canister filters...effective and affordable
Cinder blocks should be cheaper and easier to build.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
The 2 heaters should be fine, but highly recommend hooking them up to a controller.
The 400 won't be enough filtration. Look into Sunsun and Odyssea canister filters...effective and affordable
Cinder blocks should be cheaper and easier to build.
Just looked up the heater controller. I will definitely be getting two of them. Thank you! and I will check out the canisters. As far as canisters what would be a better idea, running one that supports say 180 gallon or two that support 90 gallons? I would think it would be better to run two medium that one large right?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Just looked up the heater controller. I will definitely be getting two of them. Thank you! and I will check out the canisters. As far as canisters what would be a better idea, running one that supports say 180 gallon or two that support 90 gallons? I would think it would be better to run two medium that one large right?
You should only need 1 controller depending on total wattages of heaters.

I would actually go with at least 2 filters that supports 180. Don't go by the manufacturers' tank rating, go by your stock and how messy they are

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I would actually go with at least 2 filters that supports 180. Don't go by the manufacturers' tank rating, go by your stock and how messy they are
^^^This. I'm running 2 filters that support for 180G tank on my 125G :) with heavy planted plants, so all water parameters always at 0 ppm, yep even for Nitrate. :) there is no such thing about over kill for filtration hehehe

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I'm not Sun Sun user so I don't know about their products also UV it's nice option to have for a peace of mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store