Baby Black Arowana

Amn.mohamed3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just bought a 3 inch black arowana for $160.

I really need advice on raising babies because I don't want to lose it.
Will be raised in a 75 gallon until 8 inches. I will put maybe a clown knife or something once it gets 6 inches.
any advice from feeding to water quality is much appreciated. THANKS

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Keep the water pristine. They are more susceptible to breaking down through off water quality than silvers esp at that stage of their lives ime. No gravel. Fine layer of sand or bare bottom. Keep him by himself till the clown knife goes in. Cover all openings
Where did you buy him?
Have you offered anything yet for food? Is he eating
Egg sack is gone right?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Make sure your tank is completely covered. Those baby Aros love to find little cracks to jump thru...A lot of people lose fish this way. If your fish is holding a yolk sack, other fish will pick at it...I like to raise my babies in species tank or solitarily. Also make sure your fish is getting a good diet(lots of live foods).

Amn.mohamed3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ok I'll remove the carbon do a 50% water change move everything out of the tank...it's wild caught so I'm kind of scared it'll die of stress. I'm keeping it solitary for now. Thanks!

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Oh and yes the egg sack is gone it's still in transit right now so I'm just preparing my tank
3 inches and being in transit to you? this one gonna be in extreme stresses mode, good luck!
By the way 160 bucks for baby one quite too much, our LFS selling black Aro around 8 inches for $250.

Amn.mohamed3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Chicago, IL
Actually it's 95 for local pickup. But I payed 65 for fedex overnight shipping. I know its high stress but he said it normally comes within 16 hours of him putting it in the bag. Also I didn't actually pay 160 for it. They cost 160 on their own with shipping. My friend and I bought 2 for 265 and split into 132.50 arrived this morning currently acclimating it. Should I use drip or just leave the bag in the water. Thinking of ordering a couple more fry. If anyone in Chicago would like to split shipping costs go ahead and reply to me.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I would open the bag to let the gas built up inside the bag during transit to escape and let the temp match and use drip to acclimate it, since it's too small I would keep an eyes on it for next few hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store