How Do You Guys Feel About Animal Experimentation

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Been a while since we've had some thought provoking conversations on subjects that may be touchy/sensitive to some.

I watched a documentary on monkey head transplant that got me thinking. And I am not absolutely sure how I feel. I think I'm leaning toward being ok with animal experimentation but at the same time it doesn't feel 100% right. I know that there are a very large amount of medicine and medical discoveries that are the direct result of animal experimentation that save lives everyday.

I'd post the video of the documentary but it has some scenes where it may be a bit too gory for the site.

anyways, i'm hoping we get a good discussion going without it resorting to things that will just end up making this thread crash and burn.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Well...technically they are animals so it doesn't bother me too much but we should try to be somewhat humane to them at the same time.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Who determines what is somewhat humane?
Many things we know about the human body were discovered by Dr Mengele and his crew in the 40's. Is it wrong that we use that information in medical research? I think that is a more thought provoking question than animal research.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Well...technically they are animals so it doesn't bother me too much but we should try to be somewhat humane to them at the same time.
technically humans are also animals so by that logic what makes it ok to test on non humans vs testing on humans?

not disagreeing with you, just trying to stay neutral and play devil's advocate

Who determines what is somewhat humane?
Many things we know about the human body were discovered by Dr Mengele and his crew in the 40's. Is it wrong that we use that information in medical research? I think that is a more thought provoking question than animal research.
it's not as controversial, that's why it's less thought provoking.

but seriously, i'll have to look into this Dr. Mengele

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
ok, just looked up Dr. Mengele

the dude was doing unscientific experiments on concentration camp prisoners and had no regard for their health or safety. he experimented on children as well.

geez, definitely more controversial, lol

but to answer your question, I would say no, it would not be wrong to use information from his research

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I don't consider us animals...it is my opinion and thus may or may not agree with others.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Technically we are animals. We are of the kingdom Animalia

Not trying to take a stance on the topic however

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
but technically humans are animals though regardless of your opinion, borg

edit: just looked up the word "animal" and one of the definitions was that an animal is "any such living thing other than a human being"

so by definition your opinion is correct and incorrect depending on which one you choose I guess. but I feel that the more correct answer is that we are technically animals

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
this thread is not starting the way I was hoping for, lol

I don't consider us animals...it is my opinion and thus may or may not agree with others.
if you don't mind me asking, you separate us from what you consider animals because of our superior intellectual? correct me if i'm wrong

Not trying to take a stance on the topic however
howcome? can you elaborate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store