FL Largemouth season

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Me personally after nearing 20 years of fishing for LMB I'm ready for a double digit bass. Had a few good bass last season numerous from 6-8 lbs (IIRC had 6 in that range). 3 years ago had a 9.5 but can't hit the double digits. I'm going to be all over gods green earth from feb thru march hitting many many lakes with different baits doing my best to break that mark. Go to baits this year are swim jig, magnum speed worm, Rapala SR-5's, and a few lakes that I just need to bring live bait to them.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
I fish lake Toho several times a year. Family has a house on the lake and we keep a boat there. There are a lot of those swimming in that lake. I would take that lake over any other in Florida for trophy bass. I dont know what your boat situation is like, but there is obviously a public launch. Net some golden shiners and get after them.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Boat situation for me is pretty good, have an 05 nitro nx750 (17.5 ft 115hp motor) and a jon boat for pond hopping. I've fished toho a few times, with not much success. Total caught in 3 trips has been 7 bass, largest of 4 lbs. Throwing a lot of lures and all different depths from bank banging to the 10+ ft depths. 2 colors of mag speed worms, 3 colors of super flukes, cranks, spinnerbaits. Toho is fished too hard imo. Better off waiting for the locks to be open and go to kissimmee, but that's about another hour of running the boat.

I'm going to be hitting st johns this season. I don't think I want to make the 2 hour boat trip up to lake george up near palatka because of the bass pressure on that lake. Maybe as far north as dexter.

I also have a 2 private lakes that have yeilded trophy bass by word of several anglers that fish the lakes. One has brought out a 15lb bass (via scale for weight) 3 years ago and my buddy got a 13lb last year when I wasn't fishing with my buddy. I've caught a 5.5lb, 7lb and 8.5lb bass in the same day at that one. The other has a great support system for big bass. Natural wild shiners, crawfish, bluegill, black crappie and have yet to see a gar. There's only a few yaks and 2 john boats on the lake and the rest are ski boats with no trolling motors, I only see people fishing from the docks and fished this lake half a dozen times.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
Toho gets hit hard but not by a ton of people that know what they are doing. I NEVER have trouble putting fish in the boat there. Of course, I use the wild shiners that I net. There is no shortage of fish 3-5 pounds and almost always get one 8+ while im there.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Well yea using the wild shiners is a no brainer in any lake that has bass in it. Only time I use shiners farm or wild is when it's late spring to summer time. Work is too crazy for me to be an angler and it's too damn hot. July and august and start of september I barely fish at all. Maybe a couple of nights via full moon.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
And now everyone that was saying they want to go fishing, don't want to go fishing anymore. Launching and fishing by yourself is no good in my book. Especially if something were to happen, being alone is never a good thing on a boat imo.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I've had around 20 bass so far this year, biggest was maybe 2 1/2 lbs. Trying again later today depending on how my wife feels. She's sick.

Had about a 1lb black crappie though last weekend. Followed by getting stuck in the mud there. Cool lake, very few snags or vegetation. Which means fishing shallow first hour for the little guys, the drops right after the bite slows for a few more decent fish and deep water by 9am as I've learned now. Which just yeilded more small fish but the best fish of the day at 2.5. Need to just go deep with live bait there, but there's other lakes far more productive.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
I fish alone on Toho 99% of the time just because we don't know anyone down there. We keep a deep v Lund behind the house and rent a dock for a week at a time while I'm there. Will be down march 9-21 and am looking forward to tearing them up.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Well, I can come down that way on a weekend and meet and fish with ya. Can bring my nitro too. Let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store