bowfins with Poly's and gar?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have an opportunity to pick up a handful of baby bowfin in the 3" range. Would they make good tankmates for my two Florida gar/Polypterus ensemble once they are large enough to migrate to the comm tank? I have received mixed messages about this in my research. Thanks~
III

The tank is heavily planted. Poly's include:

7" ornatipinnis
9" ornatipinnis
11.5" senegalus
11.5" Faranah lap
Incoming:
Congicus 11"
Eventually:
Dabola
PBB

Other grow outs to be added in the next year:
4" koliba tr
5.5" delhezi x2
5.5" endli endli

About to pick up 5x 3" dats to grow out as well. They'll probably spend a few years in a grow out tank though.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have doubts as some of your fish may eventually become a meal. Bowfin can get to 3 feet in length and can be very aggressive. They also require atleast a 450 g as an adult. The other issue is they require a lower temp compared to the other fish you got. I'd probably say pass unless you really want to risk it and make an attempt. The gar should be ok but the other polys look like edible hot dogs if a bowfin got big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Bowfins can live a wide temp range. I pull them out of ditches here mid summer where the water temp is up in the 80's. My concern is their aggression. They are very active at night and they are known to be aggressive. I however feel that they could all be compatible and it would make an amazing ancient themed aquarium

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I've had luck with the combo. My bowfin is 18" and it lived with 2 16" endli and a 10" senegal. I also have a bunch of gar. Get the bowfin on pellets asap and they won't be as aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store