Bare bottom vs sand

Justynkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
Plymouth, UK
I am about to get 3 senegal polypterus for a 4ft tank and was wondering what do you guys have as a substrate and why.

i currently have a 30g bare bottom community tank with lots of caves made out of bogwood pieces and plants potted in small jars. Do you think that the bichirs would like environment like this? Or should I leave the sand as it is (20mm just to cover the bottom) plus the same decor as in 30g.

i don't need a substrate to act as a bio filter as I'm building a whole sump for that haha plus im doing weekly water changes and clean up on the 30g so 30min for the 4ft tank won't make a huge diffrence :) I am interested in polypterus behaviour more than anything :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I cant stand bare bottom tanks...go with sand. Its more or less just as easy as no substrate. the polys will appreciate it.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Sand is better weather it be garnet (good for lowerjaws and upperjaws), black (better for upperjaws and probably better for you since you have senegals), or red (better for lowerjaws).

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
So is the 4ft tank the 30g? Or are you getting a 4ft tank in the future?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I don't see anything nice come out with a bare tank and less decoration, it's look more like a better quality tank compare to super market catfish tank or whatever live fish tank in there....

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
With a bare tank it's easier to keep clean and see all the stuff that would be hard to spot with substrate. Although sand does a pretty good job of keeping the waste on the top and easy to clean while making your tank look nice and your fish more comfortable.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
With a bare tank it's easier to keep clean and see all the stuff that would be hard to spot with substrate. Although sand does a pretty good job of keeping the waste on the top and easy to clean while making your tank look nice and your fish more comfortable.
This. IMHO bare tanks are like the laziest way possible to keep fish.....no offense to any bare tankers here.

Justynkak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
Plymouth, UK
the 4th is a 66g (i posted on this forum that i have a 55g tank but in fact it's 55 UK gallons. I didn't realise that uk gallons are different from us when I was doing the convention) I have 2 more tanks - 30g - that's the one with bare bottom, and 25g. and spare 20g one that i use as quarantine or hospital tank. I think that bare bottom tanks look very clean, the way i've done mine is to place lots of deco and white styrofoam below tank. This brightens the tank ALOT.

So you you think that a thin layer of sand can do? the sand I got with the fish tank is very fine and I'm afraid of anaerobic bacteria forming if its too deep. plus finding a cheap (affordable) aquarium sand where I live its like trying to buy an elephant!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
if you have access to pool filter sand or play sand, use that. at least over here its dirt cheap (pun intended). you'll only have a problem with anaerobic bacteria if you have significant deadspots in the sand. easy fix is to, when you do water changes, poke the sand with something. You dont have to stir it up all crazy-like but just run an object through it. takes all of 15 extra seconds.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
You shouldn't need too much. Just enough to cover the bottom and a little extra should be good. You don't have to have sand, but I think that having sand is better for the fish and makes the tank more pleasant to look at

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store