Can I keep polypterus?

Thatfishboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Northern indiana
I have a 125 gallon tank. The smallest fish in the tank are 2" cories and 2.5" swordtails.
I want to get a Senegal bichir and two rope fish would they be okay if I got them small (4"). If not how long until they start eating the other fish? Any suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Usually catfish type always has some sort of spike on either their gill or fins so there is change you will have 2 fish die at same time in this case the bichir trying to swallow catfish. Sword tail might be ok for awhile but cory is a bottom feeder fish and it will face the bichir all the time...Temptation is huge there :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Usually catfish type always has some sort of spike on either their gill or fins so there is change you will have 2 fish die at same time in this case the bichir trying to swallow catfish. Sword tail might be ok for awhile but cory is a bottom feeder fish and it will face the bichir all the time...Temptation is huge there :)
+1 The polys will try to eat ur fish. Maybe u can get a divider for your tank. The cories and swordtails don't need that much space. Unless u got lots.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
At 4 inches they may not but at 6 inches they will try to eat the cories. I've had it happen to my own fish. It was a Cory and a pictus cat.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store