Bichir in BBC's Africa

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
A Polypterus has a brief cameo in BBC's recent production, Africa. It is stalking a butterfly fish. Although it is only shown briefly, it really puts one of their most interesting and unique behaviors into perspective, and gave me a new outlook on the species. The Polypterus, dubbed by Attenborough as a "Congo bichir," is seen resting its head on a rock, noticing the butterfly fish, and striking. The butterfly and bichir had both moved into a flooded portion of the large congo forest to look for opportunities at the time it was shot. It appears to be a congicus, although I was almost positive it was a lapradei at first glance. Great shots. Definitely check it out. The whole documentary is phenomenal. The best BBC documentary of the whole lot in my opinion. I can't post pictures right now (?) or I would add them in.

Attenborough:
"The rainy season reaches its peak, and the ground has been transformed. The forest is flooded. It's a new world. Fish swim in from the swollen streams, exploiting this newly created space, snapping up the drowning insects. This is a butterfly fish. A Congo bichir. The hunter becomes the hunted. The butterfly fish is too quick, and leaps out of danger. "

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It's been posted here before, but should be easier to find now with a thread title. This should be the video your talking about if not then I haven't seen the one your talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmp6fLK62c skip to 3:35 for when it starts talking about the bichir

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
That's actually not the one, though I have seen that. This is in the recent release, Africa (2013). Its on the episode, Congo.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The whole documentary is worth watching 25+ times. There is one particular portion that shows two desert giraffe fighting. That is a much more intense fight thanvyou might imagine. They swing their heads in arcs to hit one another. One gets knocked out cold.

There is also footage of the ultra rare, golden catfish. They live in a huge underground lake that is so deep, its true depth cannot get be measured. The irony is that their secluded underwater paradise is hidden beneath the worlds dryest desert. Would love to own one of those guys. They're beautiful. Precisely 0 exist in private collections.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I think I know what your talking about is it this? http://www.amazon.com/Congo/dp/B00B4PZ6BI
That's the one. Ep. 3, Congo. The whole Congo episode is great. They were trying to tell stories that had never been told with this production. Absolute success. Be positive you watch the one narrated by Attenborough. He truly makes the series.

The scene is, as I said, brief, however; it offers a new vision of the fish.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Just saw it. I like the part where they show the close up of it's teeth

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Just saw it. I like the part where they show the close up of it's teeth
No kidding! Those teeth are beastly. Until I first saw that I had no idea they even had teeth O.O I had been under the impression they just used the plates beneath their jaw. I suppose the teeth are helpful for death rolling large, deceased prey.

The clip is such a teaser. I wonder gow big the congi was. The butterfly fish looked to be around 4". If you pause in just the right spot, there is a single frame that has the two in the frame together. Its a bit distorted though, so its difficult to precisely tell. My guess is 17-22" range.

Realllllly wish they would do a full scale doc on Poly's. Would be awesome to watch one reacting to the monsoon, then first taking to the forest. Successful hunts/evading predators/etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store