Sump help - what pump to buy? Jebao? Waveline?

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Everything has been going ok for the past few years with my 150, but things are getting worse for me. I was considering getting rid of the tank - again - because my back is hurting when I work on it. My wife wants to keep it, even if that means some changes, so I'm thinking of switching to a sump for easier filter cleanings. So I'm thinking it'll be easier if I get a sump for it. I have everything planned out except the pump.

I want a submersible, low energy pump and my plan was to buy one around 1500gph, or higher. From the research I've done, I like the Waveline DC12000, Waveline DC10000II, and the Jebao DC-12000.

All are basically the same type of design, and I've read a ton of threads on them - but nothing really long term. Does anyone have recommendations with these or others? I've been happy with my Rena and 400's for years, I'd like something to last.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have 5 jebao 12000s they seem to be doing great for me, low power usage and good flow. I would recommend them any day. Adjustable flow as well with the controller and less power if needed. I have a 75 and it runs on power setting 1 or 2, a 120 that runs at power setting 3 and a 220 run at power setting 5 and a 400 at full power. And one is currently running my bio reactor as my air pump died.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
You could even get away with a Jebao DC9000 depending on your head height. I run a 9000 on my 135 gal at 7 ft head and am getting 1200 gph on power level 3.

Otherwise nothing but positive notes about jebao I have a 6000, a 9000 and a 12000 besides the 6 circulation pumps I also use from jebao that have been hiccup free.

The first pump I purchased was the 9000 and that's been running for almost a year now. These things are so cheap I keep a backup 9000 in case any of my pumps fail.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Head height is about 5-6 feet if I estimated right. These guys can be messy and I don't like to underestimate them, I'd rather have to turn it down a bit. The 9000 may work though... these guys can challenge a filter.

I plan to keep the Emperor 400 and canisters as backups as well.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Well, I found a DC-12000 for such a good price that I bought it today and it should be here in about a week. I thought I had everything for the sump planned out, but I can't get the 40 breeder sump to fit underneath unless I rebuild the stand. I'm still debating that option at the moment, but some tubs may be the only way to go.

marcaurellius

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
South Carolina
I realize I'm a little late with input, but I just bought a Jebao DCT-12000 from fish street. My first time doing business with them and it went great, got the pump in two days. It's supposed to be the new version of the dc12000. It has ten speeds instead of six. I replaced my mag 9.5 with it and I'm running it on setting #4, drawing 35 watts to the mag 9.5's 130(which had a rating of 93 watts), moving just a fraction less water. It moves a good bit more than the 9.5 on #5 drawing 40 watts. Practically silent in comparison. Not sure of the longevity, but cost difference between the two is saved on electric in two months, should pay for itself in 13 months. Had to give it a chance. I went with the 12000 thinking running it at half power might be easier on the power supply/controller which I heard may have been a weak point on the older model.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have both the Waveline DC12000 and DC1000II. I use the 12000 for my closed loop circulation (out of sump), and, the 10000 for my return in sump. I have been very happy with it's function and performance. I like the fact that they are DC and speed can be adjusted and they are relatively quiet running in or out of water.

I cannot speak first hands on long-term, but my brother-in-law has used his 12000 for over two years with no issues. I think you will be happy with this equipment as part of your sump set-up and keep you in the hobby.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I'm hoping I get the newer model now that I know it exists. I almost bought from fish street but I found a little better deal - we'll see how that deal turns out soon, I think it will be delivered later today.

I ran into a few other sump problems though. I had planned to slide in a 40 breeder tank but after I poked around under the stand more, I found I only had 15 inches of width due to the previous owners construction methods. I went out and priced out a plastic tub that will slide right in, but I'm having some doubts about this idea already. I was thinking of dropping a stack of drawers in on the left side, each layer with different media and holes drilled in the bottom to drain the water from one layer to the next. Once it drains out the bottom I would use the middle section for some K1, a powerhead to circulate it, and my ceramic blocks for the algae filter. Then I'd have a plastic cage on the right side for the pump to sit in so the K1 doesn't get sucked up.

Like I said, I have OCD, so I'm having some issues with the less organized plastic bin idea right now. The alternative I have is a bit brutal for the timeline. I have the option to use my 32 gallon brute and move the fish into that temporarily for a day and tear down the entire tank and rebuild a few things on the stand so I can slide the 40 breeder into it.

Right now the stand is almost overbuilt even by my standards. The previous owner used 14 2x6 boards for the vertical support alone, and the side pieces are all facing into the stand on the 6 inch side. He built the stand a bit wider than the tank, that's why it leaves me 15 inches inside instead of 13. Once we move the tank off the stand, I have access to the screws for the boards and I could rotate either rotate them or replace them with 2x4 boards on just one side and I would have the space I need.

So do I have to worry about replacing 3 boards with 2x4's? Two would be the middle front boards on the length and one would be a side corner board. I'll see if I can get a photo to help clear it up. The main corners would still have a 2x6 on each corner, but right now the corners actually have two 2x6 boards as a L shape.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Just drop it down to a 29 gal. You won't loose much real estate for media in comparison to the 40b because on the 40b you really can't fill it up to high. I really like 29s and 55s for sump dimensions.

Skip the tower it's not worth it and it's such a hassle compared to changing filter socks. I have both styles running and I strongly favor the standard sump with filter socks.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I'm hoping I get the newer model now that I know it exists. I almost bought from fish street but I found a little better deal - we'll see how that deal turns out soon, I think it will be delivered later today.

Is there a version 3 that just came out, or, were you referring to the second generation. I have the second which has larger controllers that dissipate heat better with the fins than the original versions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store