New tor putitora wild from india!! Come in all experienced tor keepers! Need tips!

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Just got a 21inch putitora thats wild from india and was wondering if any experienced tor keepers could give me some tips. Tips such as temp, water conditions, feeding habits ect.
Ive had experience with small putis from the past but it didnt go too well...Thanks^^

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Do you have a tank that can hold that massive fish that can weight up to 54 Kilograms and over 170 cm in length if keep in right condition LOL?

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Not all of them get to 170cm and it will probably take a loooooong time so until then im happy to put him in my 210cm by 50cm . And by my past experience with smaller putis it took a long time to grow one out to the size i currently have

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'd recommend keeping it at the temp it's normally kept in the wild, mid to high 60's, until it settles and is doing well. Then you can start slowly raising the temp so that it can be with your other fish. Make sure to post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Thanks last time i tried i kept it in at about 28c but it didnt go too well....so this time im starting off at 23 and slowly raising it to 26. And i also noticed that putus had a slower growth rate than tambroides or other tor species

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
The warmer you keep it the faster it will grow!

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Thanks last time i tried i kept it in at about 28c but it didnt go too well....so this time im starting off at 23 and slowly raising it to 26. And i also noticed that putus had a slower growth rate than tambroides or other tor species
Yes tor species usually have a very very slow growth rate. Mine grew pretty slow. DB junkie took years to get to a foot. He reports they grow even slower than his ATF.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd try to keep it at natural temps regardless, a lot of tropicals can be kept with it around 20C.

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Yes tor species usually have a very very slow growth rate. Mine grew pretty slow. DB junkie took years to get to a foot. He reports they grow even slower than his ATF.

Some of the pros here said that mahseers could grow quickly if given the right requirements.

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store